Integrated or Separates on a budget

I am in the process of upgrading my existing system on a budget. My first purchase were Paradigm Studio 100 v2. I have a Sony cd carousel and an integrated I am replacing. At the very most, I have about $1200 to spend. I plan to buy used. I need to drive 2 sets of speakers. I have heard that getting separates is generally better all around, but I am not sure if it is possible to get quality pieces in my price range. Any suggestions?
blewis1041
Why don't you get a nice used DAC, keep the carousel and find a nice used integrated? There's plenty of great units nowadays since the economy's going bad and people are dumping ballast.

An early 80's classic: Yamaha A-1 dual mono integrated...real nice! It's got 2 C-core shielded transformers, Nichikon Gold main caps, dual mono volume pot , disc direct bypass, real world, useful tone controls & outboard cartridge loading. Hard to find, worth the wait.

The Creek and Jolida integrated amps are nice too! You can get a 100WPC Jolida hybrid w/remote volume for $600 or less. A friend of mine got one here for around $550 w/ 1 month use and original sales recipt!

I have heard that getting separates is generally better all around

Well...

...no.

I would not say, today, that separates are generally better than an integrated. There are tradeoffs involved both ways. Expense is the biggest, as you mention. Size is another. Actually, at a given price level, I think you should in principle get better sound from an integrated than from separates. Power supply structure and shielding need to be good in the integrated but you eliminate a set of interconnects, and money saved on the extra box can be spent on better parts.
By the way, I also have a phono need, and I don't need a remote, if that helps. Thanks so far for all of the suggestions. I was also suggested (by someone who wanted to sell me his), a Dared VP-845. 18wpc or whatever it is seems really low to me. And while I still don't get that watts doesn't necessarily equal power out the speakers, I don't see this working. Any more thoughts?
Also, I was very much ready to buy the Creek - it is highly respected here. Having trouble finding it used, I started calling authorized dealers for demo units. A guy here told me they had several that either hummed or overheated and that they were no longer carrying them (although they are listed as an authorized reseller). Any comments on this?
Having to drive two sets of speakers from the same amp limits the possibilities somewhat. In this case you might actually want to go for entry-level separates, if only to choose a preamp with two sets of outputs so you could buy and drive a second power amp later on.

I wouldn't look at Cambridge or NAD, though. I would see if I could find gear by Linn for this, or perhaps Rotel. Linn are good at multi-room systems. Used, a Wakonda or Kairn preamp and an LK85 or LK140 (much better-sounding) might work. I'm afraid you'll have to ask a dealer or check Linn's site to see if these amps will do multiple speaker sets.

For the same money, though, you would get better sound from many integrateds. I would forget tubes unless I had technical help, because of the multi-speaker requirement. If I could find some way to live with only one set of outputs, I would want to try an integrated by YBA, Sim Moon, Vecteur or maybe that Portal.