Integrated or Amp/Preamp combo for Magnepan 1.7

Hi All - currently using a W4S 250W/channel integrated amp with fairly new Magnepan 1.7s and thinking I can do better. The sound is a bit bright and I'm wondering if a different integrated or amp/preamp combo would help. I've searched the forums and haven't found a lot of specifics. I'm considering, thanks to a fellow Agoner, something like an older Audio Research Pre or CJ pre with a solid state amp (Pass or others). I would prefer an integrated amp, but separates may be the way to go. Hegel, SimAudio or tube integrated are under consideration. I have a small square room ( roughly 11 x 11 ) and I mostly listen to classical, jazz and classic rock. Budget would be around $3000. Thanks for any suggestions.
shaksfan

Showing 2 responses by davide256

Some suggestions after having been through a year of breaking in my 1.7's

1) start with interconnects and power cables... they can contribute to glare which is commonly what people are reacting to when they say bright. I use the PS Audio jewel power cables, they do help improve bass and clean up grunge. Interconnects are harder to pigeon hole as source-pre electronics interaction varies. Try some place like Wireworld that will let you try before you buy.
2) turn your speakers backwards... the vertical magnet strips on the front panel side create a Fresnel lens like effect that reduces off axis imaging.
3) you don't mention your source, so that makes me wonder if the source is possibly the origin of some brightness.
4) maggies take about 60 days to break in... during which time they aren't yet at their best bass or transparency because like new shoes they don't have enough wear to be fully supple.

I suspect that you may be disappointed if you don't sort through these first... the problem may still be there after buying new amplification.

Very happy with Prima Luna Prologue Premium integrated vs
my prior solid state amplification... but that was more of an oil color vs water color tonal color change ..improved vividness, not a change in tonal balance. If better tone color does matter to you, $3K gets you their Dialogue Integrated which is even better in the bass..
Sounds like you are worried about wattage... don't be. In your price range consider the Rogue or the Prima Luna integrateds. Tube amps rarely irritate like solid state amps can and can help tame irritations from other components. I don't miss the greater wattage my Musical Concepts modded Hafler had... I hear more interesting things with tube amplification.