Integrated Amps vs. Separates.

I'm curious what people think the better option is, integrated amp or seperates. It seems that integrated amps are a cost cutting measure, but do they also cut sonic quality? Assuming similiar price ranges, what would people here generally choose. Give me some examples/brands/models and comparisions from your experiences. Thnaks. Carter p.s. Is the Krell KAV 300i really the king of integrateds like many reviewers say (i.e not only better than all other integrated amps but better than most seperates)?
mailman199
At @$1500-2000 retail and less the best integrateds are very competitive and sometimes surpass seperates, but over this amount the cost of extra box is not overwhelming and the physical/engineering advantages of seperation will win out as superior for the best seperates. But under $1500 I would definitely look at integrateds, Sam
I've recently, for the first time in 40+ audiophile years, gone to monoblock power amps, enabling short speaker cables with long interconnects. That now strikes me as the one big irrefutable superior aspect of separates. Hard to do at a lowish price point, maybe, but worth working up to if you can. A big advantage of separates is given up without going all the way, to monoblocks. (The long interconnects raise no problems, even though I use a passive preamp.)
I was happy with my Sansui AU517 integrated for the 18 years I had it. There were space advantages and it had all the features I wanted. I actually miss it...but... I now have two systems. One is a Golden Tube SEP1-se preamp biamped with Adcom GFA54511 & GFA 535. This is the living room system. I also have a music room with Anthem Pre1l and Amp1 (both tubes). Being that the living room system is now for when we have company, or for TV, and is not where I do my serious listening, I too am thinking of getting an integrated. My top contenders are the Anthem Integrated 2 and the Bryston B60. Both can be used with extra power amps, or used as preamps. I really like the idea and sound of seperates, but in this case, I think an integrated will do well.
Brian, how many integrated did you audition, before choosing the ML 383? Was 383, that much better than the competition? Regards!
I was always a proponent of separates. However, I now am greatly enjoying an integrated. The benefits of separates have been mentioned, and I agree. But, let's consider the benefits of a great(not good) integrated. Cost, space, the removal of possible mismatch between pre and power amp(happens a lot more than we realize), the removal of the possible mismatch between the preamp/interconnect/power amp, and the fact you can spend twice as much on a power cord(since you're only buying one). In the Stereophile review of the ML 383, the company maintains the integrated is BETTER(at half the cost!) than their equivalent 380/334 combination, UNLESS a perfect interconnect match is used. So, right now, I think for the majority of us(who do not have a cost no object budget), one of the great new integrated is better.