Integrated Amp (Gryphon, T+A, etc) or DAC + Stereo Amp for B&W 802d3

Hi everyone,

First post here on Audiogon as I’m seeking advice to upgrade my current amps for B&W 802d3. The speakers have been driven by Devialet Expert Pro 440 CI over the last years and I can’t really say Devialet  is my cup of tea, although it’s extremely convenient. Appreciate if someone can share his/her experience.

The following amps are currently in my shortlist and I’m really close to pulling the trigger to one of the amps -

Streaming DAC (w or w/o preamp) + Integrated Amp: Gryphon Diablo 300, T+A PA 3100 HV, Accuphase E-800,
OR
Streaming DAC (w or w/o preamp) straight into Stereo/Power Amp: Gryphon Essence, Accuphase A-75, Luxman M-900u

All my listening sources are Digital (Roon + TIDAL, AirPlay, Apple TV, TV) so I’m leaning towards a good quality Streaming DAC + Stereo amp unless a pre-amp is really necessary to add ’colouration’ or some sort.

Any thoughts/advice?

Additional info:
1. I listen mostly to Jazz, vocals, classical (especially piano and violin). Music 75%, 25% films via Apple TV
2. I have T+A PA 3100 HV loaner/home audition at the minute. Great amp, very neutral, balanced, great bass control and impressive soundstage. But, I feel like it’s an ’upgraded’ version of Devialet...it’s a bit analytical and doesn’t have the warmth for midrange at least to my ears
3. I’m looking for an amp that a) great soundstage b) details c) control the 802D3 bass well d) warmer than Devialet or T+A (go for pure Class A perhaps?)

fan118

Showing 6 responses by georgehifi

Manufacturers also often report the output power into 8 ohms low so that the output power spec for their amp doubles down into 4 ohms.
So so true! i’ve said it many times. Especially with Class-D’s and or complimentary Mosfets.

Many manufacturers purposely understate their 8ohm wattage to make the 4ohm look like it’s doubling, and the 2ohm is either non existent because the amp can't take it, or it sometimes goes backwards from the 4ohm wattage figure.

Stereophile expose this with many bench tests, but they don’t pull them up on it, (potential advertisers would be the reason). They leave it up to those who are able to see it in the tests.

Cheers George

fan118 OP

👍 For getting the Gryphon Essence, it will serve you and and any future speakers you get for a long time to come.

Also good work doing the ground work before buying, too many just grab things mentioned here to get by "good doers" without looking at the ability of them into the loads they will see.

Cheers George  
I’d also need to factor in my longer term plan for upgrade (or not!) and ’approval’ by partner for the ’look’ of the amp.
Gryphon’s look awesome in an "Art Deco" sort of way, very WAF (wife acceptance factor) friendly.

It's been a while now but I think for memory the 2 x sub outs on the Diablo can not only be configured to be L&R "pre outs", but for L&R "main in" also, to turn it into a poweramp as well.

Cheers George
I’m going to audition both Essence and Diablo 300 paring with the 802 D3s over the weekend!
This is getting done at your place I hope?
As you know the sound of your room and setup

Looking at the differences, the Essence should be even sweeter using the same preamp, being higher Class-A biased, (the Diablo preamp I think can be done with programming to make the two sub outs to be pre outs?) If I remember right when it was here.
Depends on how loud you like to go but the Essence should be the better so long as it’s not near it’s 50w-8ohm limit, in the bass it’s good for 200w being down to around 2ohm 

Cheers George
fan118

Hi fan, with a 3ohm load from 100hz to 1khz in the bass and mid bass for the B&W 802 D3’s and again in the low bass at 70hz where there’s also -64 degrees of negative phase angle for the amp to contend with as well.
https://www.stereophile.com/images/616BW802fig1.jpg
These speakers want current, the Gryphon Diablo 300 would be my pick, partly because of the many bi-polar output transistors and massive power supply they use, the best formula for big current.
Gryphon Diablo 300:
The extreme wideband frequency response of the Diablo 300 extends from 0.5 Hz to 350 kHz and its prodigious 300 Watt (8 Ohms) power output. The extreme high current capability of the Diablo 300 allows it to double its output to 600 Watts in a 4 Ohm load and deliver a massive 950 Watts into 2 Ohms.

Cheers George

The Dev. 440 wasn’t able to control the bass well (in contrast to the loaner T+A PA 3100 HV)
Because it’s class-d mosfet, they just get flustered driving those kind of loads.

And I think the Diablo 300 will even be better again, as TA doesn’t publish any 2ohm specs

Cheers George