Integrated Amp for Focal 1027be speakers

I'm looking a integrated amp for my Focal 1027be speakers. I previously owned the Sim I-7 before I decided to go with a 5 channel Classe SSP600/CA5100 set-up. Now I'm thinking about going back to a dedicated 2 channel system and selling my 5 channel system. I'm using the Oppo 95 for cds and the Olive 04hd as a music server with Synergistic tesla interconnect and speaker cables.

I could go with separates but I hear that many of the newer integrated amps are pretty close to separates. I would go with separates if I could get a deal. Since the Focals can sound a little bright on lower quality recordings, I'm hoping to find find an amp that would go good with the Focals. I prefer solid state equipment since I don't want to hassle with tubes. I've considered the Sim 700i, Pass INT-150, and ModWright KWI 200 with the optional built in DAC.
128x128ronrags

Showing 13 responses by ronrags

Thanks for your responses. I'll looked into all your recommendations and do some more research. The Focals dip down below 3 ohms at some point and I'm wondering if the Pass has sufficient power at 30w.

I may also consider separates since I will have a big void in my cabinet since the Classe equipment are quite large. I'm willing to spend some additional money if I can get a good deal on some used separates.
The sensitivity is 91db and the recommended power is 40 to 300w. Minimum ohms is stated at 3.5.
Thanks guys. This is the kind of info I needed and I will give Pass a call.

Bryon- You stated you owned the XA30.5 along with 1027be. What was your impression of both together and did you try another amp with the Focals?

I also read Pass equipment run quite hot and consume alot of power even when idle.
Thanks for the technical info. The amount of heat generated is a bite too much for me so I'll stick with class AB amps.
I just pulled the plug and purchased the Pass-INT150. The dealer recommended the INT-150 over the INT30a for the Focals. I decided to keep the Classe 5 channel set-up but use the Pass for the front channels. This way I get the benefit of 2 channel music and 5 channel surround movies and sacd.

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.
I ordered it on line so I haven't received it yet. I'll report my findings asap
It's been some time since I last wrote in this thread and at the time I was awaiting for the Pass INT-150 to be delivered. I considered selling my HT system and going back to 2 channel but decided to keep the HT system and use the Pass for the front channels. Once I received the Pass I realized it didn't have a HT bypass as I was told by Reno-hifi. The amp sounded well with my Focals but I decided to send it back since it didn't have the HT bypass. I finally decided to sell the HT system last month and now it was time to purchase an integrated amp. Since I owned a Sim and heard the Pass, I decided to try the Modwright KWI-200. I called Dan at Modwright and he offered a great deal on a demo so I purchased it with his built-in DAC. Dan offered a 2 week trial period so it was a no brainer.

I received the amp a week later and noticed buzz coming from the speakers only when I switched to the built-in DAC. The buzz increased as the volumn increased. I tried trouble-shooting by unplugging the amp from the Richard Gray power supply and unplugging the rest of my equipment but the buzz was still there. I called Dan and discussed the different trouble-shooting that I tried. He suggested I return the amp and he offered to send another unit. So I packed it up and returned it. Dan tested the unit and didn't hear the buzz. So he tried to re-create my set-up by connecting an Oppo 95 into the DAC but still no buzz. After exchanging phone calls, Dan agreed to send the new unit so we can trouble-shoot over the phone if the second unit had the same problem. I received the second unit 2 days later and it had the same buzz. But before I called Dan I decided to unplug the Synergistic power strip I used for the cable power warts. The power strip was located directly behind the amp. Well low and behold, the buzz was gone. I called Dan and he deduced the electrical fields from the power strip and power warts were affecting the DAC since it was located right behind the amp. Once I relocated the power strip all was well. I have to commend Dan for working with me and also sending a new unit even though it turned out to be a problem with a power strip and not the amp. Dan is a great guy and if anyone is interested in his products, give him a call.

Now that the buzz was gone, it was time to listen. The unit comes with about 50 hours of break-in so it will need some more time to break-in especially the built-in DAC. I began by playing music from the Oppo's analog output. It sounded good but not great. I then plugged the Oppo into Mod DAC and wow, what a big difference. The sound was smoother and sound stage opened up. The Mod sounded more 3 dimensional than the previous amps I had. I can't wait to hear the Mod break-in further and report back my findings.

I have around 150 hours on the unit and it's still opening up. I really enjoy the larger soundstage than I had with my other amps (Pass INT-150 and Sim I-7). The Sim sounded very controlled and tight but less dimensional and dry. There is one thing I don't like at this point is the Focals sound brighter at times and a little harsher than with the other amps especially with female voices. I changed the speaker cables from the Synergistic Accelerators to the older Signature 2 and it helped a little. Another agoner suggested I stick with the amp since he believes it needs a min of 500 hours to break-in. I'll keep you posted.
Mcpherson, yes the Focals still sound bright and harsh. I have around 250 hours on the MW so far. I'm hoping the brightness settles down when I reach 400-500 hours. I'll keep you updated.
Bryon, hopefully it will change after the break-in period. I do like the open soundstage and the 3d sound of the KWI200. It sounds great with certain jazz selections but voices are still harsh. If the KWI200 doesn't change after the break-in, I might consider trying the Pass INT-30A since I already tried the INT-150. I read the INT-30A is better sounding than the INT-150 especially on brighter sounding speakers.
I listen to a variety of music from classical to hard rock but mainly jazz these days. My basement listening room is 13x18 but only 6'6" high due to a suspended ceiling so I don't need to play it loud. The speakers are around 4' from the front wall and I sit about 7' from the speakers.

I'm trying to be patient and hopefully the MW settles down so I don't need to change amps. The Sim I-7 was the smoothest amp I owned with the Focals but it wasn't as open and 3D as the MW. Let's wait and see!