Infinity RS 2.5 speaker placement

Hello all,

I've been trying to find the perfect spot for these old behemoths. I have tried the Cardas website, but the formula doesn't seem to work perfectly for these, maybe because they are a mix of cone woofers and the mylar? mids and tweets. He suggest toe in for all speakers while the infinity set up manual says to keep them parallel. Room is approximately 11'x20'x8' rectangle. Big window in front that has been covered and also some crochet blankets on the walls to try and soften things up a bit. I'm looking for the best imaging and soundstage I can get out of these. Any help is greatly appreciated. Btw, it's not bad by any means, just trying to find the best way to set up these speakers.
sswanny_1
Most of the placement advice in this thread is accurate. What I found out with my 2.5s was that I had to keep them fairly close together and just toed in a hare. Actually I always thought the sweet spot was pretty narrow, and I was always a little disappointed in the imaging. I moved on to Vandersteens, and am much happier. They were great in their day though. Fortunately my electric bill was included in my rent. Good luck.
Hi Sswanny-1 I had 2.5s for years the trick to placement is not only the bass but the tweeters the rear wall should be a hard surface when they are the right distance from the wall, the tweeters will brighton right up you want the rear tweeter sound wave to hit the listening position at the same time as the front firing tweeter.If I remember right I liked them about 2 to 3 feet away from the rear wall. Toe just so the tweeters look to be firing just over your shoulders not at your ears. The distance is easy to do play somthing that goes across from one speaker to the other speaker and seperate them until you loose the image in between them that is your to far point move them back were the image in the middle is not lost. Always have at least 4 to 5 feet open behind you at your listening spot and at least 1.5 times the width of seperation from your listening spot to the speakers.If you have the room your speakers will show a whole new side of themselves.The biggest problem with most hi fi set ups is the room and not the equiptment. most people have to big of hi fi systems in to small of a room. Until you have tried it I know it is hard to believe. The diferance is night and day.
thank you for the response susieschaeffer. I'm a little under the weather at the moment for moving the behemoths but I will give that a try soon. I have moved them a few times since my last post and I'm guessing I have them pretty close to what you have mentioned. This room is a converted 1-car garage that someone built a floor about two feet up from where the actual concrete slab is. Lots of vibrations pass through the floor itself and even though the sota turntable is suspended and sitting on a sixty pound fireplace for a stand with two layers of oak bookshelves with vibration cones between, any large movement within a few feet of the table will cause it to skip. So, I know the room is a huge part of the problem in this situation. Besides, I'm a poor engineering student at the moment, so equipment upgrades are out for now :)