Inexpensive Good Vintage Turntables?

I'm considering buying a turntable again. I've been without one for going on 10 years. This time around, could you recommend some really good inexpensive models (prefer belt but DD OK, too). And carts (preferably modern) that will work with them? And who are good online sellers of restored models? I know very little about vintage turntables ...

greg7

I have a Thorens TD 320, since new! 1986?? It was their value model way back when. Shared motor with more expensive models. Built like a tank, TROUBLE FREE -STILL. I had the output cable/RCA's removed and replaced with flush mount high quality female RCA jacks so I could use high quality interconnects. 

They are around.... I also agree with the person above on Empire TT's but I haven't seen a lot of them in good  shape( or any shape) I lusted over my buddy's AR-XB, a magnificent little minimalist unit that was Iconic the day it was introduced. It was produced,like Thorens in large numbers so you may find one of the them. There is a very clean/refurbished  unit on E-bay now for $495.

Happy hunting 

@hanfrac 

Thank you for your reply,  I agree the weight of the Sota limits it to a local buyer, which may require more time.

The condition is pristine and  meticulously cared for. Hoping to get a techie friend to help me upload pictures.

Thank you for your input. 

Just because your biased doesn't mean your right

Probably typed without a hint of irony.

Like I stated at the beginning, I own all three types of drives. For sheer fun my restored and hot rodded Russco Studio Pro Model B is the table that I enjoy most, gotta love that shifter, for easy no fuss listening with perfect speed it would be my JVC TT71 motor drive in a 2 arm Victor CL2P plinth and if I want to fuss around, it would be my massive Acoustic Solid table, (belt or actually thread drive). I think that covers all 3 drive types pretty well.

My recommendation for someone getting into vinyl? Look for an older mid to upper level DD table. No fuss, just get on with playing.

Billwojo

if you want a fantastic sounding engineering work of art, how about a Transcriptors/Michell Hydraulic Reference? either with the Transcriptors Unipivot, an SME 3009 or a Grace/Hadcock?