In your opinion, what is Hi, Medium and Low end?

Hey All,

I am new to this arena and for all the reading and homework it seems like there is a lot of circumstance out there. It seems that the comment that I see the most is, “…see how it works with your system.” And while this is true about a great many things in life it seems that we are all trying to find a sense for balance for our budget. The other thing that I learned is the spending a lot will not always yield the desired result.

So…regardless of price, here is my question. In your opinion, if your were to put together a system (say something to do it all, as I don’t know about everyone else but I couldn’t afford one for music and one for movies and other activities) in the following three categories: as high medium and low; what would it look like?

Say maybe with the following categories:

1) Processor, Preamp & Amp OR Receiver
2) Sources (CD, Phono or whatever)
3) Cables (Speak, Interconnect and whatever)
4) Power and related products
5) Other tweaks

Did I miss anything? Please feel free to add. :D

There are no motives hear but to learn, I have just bought a bunch of stuff that make me happy and I am just curious or maybe trying to prove that I am not on crack. ;-)

Cheers,

Blu
blu_audio
Mr.Schroeder,Thank you for sharing your knowledge,patience and wisdom with me.I sincerely hope you enjoy all you have accomplished.Speaking with you has humbled me.
As a 24 year old I may be a little late coming to this hobby

I started in this hobby right around that age too...it's certainly not late. Now I'm twice your age and have over 24 years into it. I've definitely settled into certain preferences and have held onto the components that fulfill them for almost a decade of that time, though I continue to tinker and try alternatives now and then. You've gotten some really good advice in this thread and I've enjoyed reading many of the responses to your queries here. Thank you for contributing. I'd definitely agree with those who advocate the more 'relaxed' approach to listening and enjoying this hobby. You will find out what matters to you and what doesn't with time and experience. No need to rush things as it's all good if it's about the music. If the gear or the hobby takes you away from the music, I'd say it's time to reevaluate your participation in the hobby (unless, of course you enjoy that aspect of it). There are certainly those who take great pleasure in tweaking and obsessing over the gear itself, and the performance of the gear for gear's sake. There's nothing wrong with that if its what you enjoy, go for it. I've always been in it for the enjoyment of music and just as soon have the gear disappear (metaphorically and physically, though the latter is a bit of a challenge). It's nice to see younger people interested in this hobby, enough to participate in a thread like this. There are a few others here too so you're not alone. Wow, an analog junkie too. Nothing wrong with that, but keep an open mind as digital has come a long way over a short period of time and continues to advance (meaning better performance available at more affordable prices). By all means, pursue the analog though if you have the desire and patience you will be greatly rewarded. You should try to attend one of the larger audio shows like RMAF in CO (October) to see and hear the range of some of what is available...take your BF and your dad! Though the hotel rooms and short setup period are not the best place to judge a system, the vendors do a pretty good job, considering that handicap. I don't go often, but it's certainly fun once in a while. There are other shows as well - CES/The Show probably the biggest of them but you'd have an awful lot to filter out there. As far as trusting dealers; just like people there are good ones and not so good ones. Pointing at an agenda ($) is an obvious detractor to seeking advice there, though that is certainly not always the case. Real-world advice, as in what you might get here in the forums, could also come with its own agendas and detractors to some degree, but in most cases they are not driven by commerce (although they certainly can be). If you participate in the forums long enough, and get involved in building your own system at the same time, you'll get to know various folks here and get a sense of where they're coming from. Have fun!

Jax2,Thank you.I may do just that.Going to shows should be fun.I mentioned to my dad that I joined Audiogon.He asked me not to embarrass him.He doesnt have my user name but he will figure it out soon enough.Growing up he would allow me to sit and listen with him.When his buddies came hear to listen and i entered the room most times he would ask me to leave if I didn't respond he would say i told you to leave,now go girl
Hence the name.
I had no idea that there are so many audio people with knowledge that will take the time to help a novice.I thank you all again
I had no idea that there are so many audio people with knowledge that will take the time to help a novice.I thank you all again

You will dizzy yourself with the vast number of opinions here. Ask what may occur as a very simple question and you can get a plethora of diverse answers and individual tomes as to why each is the correct one. OK, I exaggerate, but not by much. Take heed of the advice you are getting that implies that there are no "right" answers - just have fun with it and enjoy the music along the way. That's what matters. It can be a whole lot of fun as it really can enhance the enjoyment of the music you love.

Your description of how you came up with your identity saddened me, but OTOH I am inspired as well to see how you persevered in spite of the discouraging words. There is a poetic irony in this, I'm sure you realize. Anyway, I hope your dad is proud to have inspired you to participate and share in his passion. It would certainly be very odd if he found your interest to be an embarrassment. Your questions here are intelligent and show obvious interest in participating and learning. How could he not be proud?
Wow, this thread went from a question of low-hi fi to Elizabeth saying "Mid fi: (The struggling audiophile)", to another poster questioning if he should buy a 10k cd player or help typhoon victims...LOLOLOL....Classic...