In the under $2500 category, diminishing returns?

In the less than $2500 (new/used) category for integrated amps, is there a point of diminishing returns?

Here's my situation, I'd like to set up a system around a pair of Maggies (MMG) I already have. One source will be my iMac with a Music Streamer DAC. I'll likely have a modest turntable soon too (Rega RP-1). I listen to a wide variety of things, but let's just say... Radiohead
I can budget upto $2500 for an amp, but would love to spend much less than that and sink the rest into CDs and vinyl.
An NAD C 326BEE can be had for around $4-500. A Music Fidelity A5 (used) for about $1500. Would there be a 3x difference between the two? Can I get a significant upgrade in sound by spending the whole $2500? I'd like to hear your thoughts.
adnan

Showing 2 responses by schubert

I have MMG's,thought they sounded good with 50 watt amp.remember they are 4 ohms.
But discovered 100 a side was better and 200 even better.
Now use a rebuilt,modded Hafler 500 putting a measured 524 watts a channel into 4 ohms and they sound great !

Maggies need juice,the more the better.IMHO more power is preferable to a better amp,of course one wants both-LOL .
I've owned Maggies for over 20 years ,they will not do anything like their best at 50-100 watts.
The best I've heard MMG's sound,all things cosidered , is with Belles Amps,with a 150 as a minimum.
Personally I'd find the cheapest used Belle putting ot 300 watts into 4 ohms,buy that and not look back.