In-line xover question

Who makes an "audiophile-grade", or at least a competent, in-line xover? I'd like to experiment with one to understand if I can achieve better integration of a pair of subwoofers.

Thank you in advance.
sydneysophia
A plug-in high-pass filter like you describe will roll off the bottom end of your main speakers at 6 dB per octave (it's a capacitor selected with the amplifier's input impedance and desired rolloff point in mind).

Whether or not it will help get a better blend with your subwoofers, I can't predict from here.

Are you already using some sort of high-pass filter on your main speakers?

Are your main speakers sealed or vented (makes a difference in how rapid their inherent rolloff is)?

How steep is the low-pass filter on your subwoofer?

What ballpark crossover frequency are you using?

Thanks.

Duke
dealer/manufacturer
Post removed 
Audiokinesis-
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. Guess I opened a can of worms. I'll try to answer your questions best I can. This experiment came about when I installed a pair of in-line filters I had on hand which xover at 65hz. After a few minutes ajdusting the low pass on my subs (which only go down to 40hz), I was relatively pleased by the results (which cleaned up the bass quite a bit) and now assume I can do even better. My main speakers are front vented (VSA 4JR) and I run a pair of old Velodyne HGS-10 subs crossed over at 40hz (I do not know how steep the low pass filter is on the subs-are you referring to slope?). The NHT X2 filter Bob-reynolds (thank you) suggested is intriquing as well.
I use the Harrison Labs Fmod 70 hz hi-pass RCA connected filter. It seems to attenuate the overall signal a few db but is actually quite transparent. For $20 they're worth a try.
I have no experience with the Harrisons. For such simple circuits, I would build it myself. A decent purpose-designed crossover would always be more effective.

Kal