Impressions of Wadia 170i

Hi,

Can those of you using a Wadia 170i to get music off your iphone/ipad/ipod onto your system tell me what you think of it? What dac do you use with it? Comparisons to redbook cd? Would you buy it again? Thanks,

TLH
tlh28

Showing 1 response by rdavwhitaker

I have one, which I used only briefly with an iPod until I moved to streaming directly from a Mac Mini to my DAC. It works fine if you prefer to use an iPod as your source and configure it to bypass the iPod's internal DAC. The sound is good, but not as good as streaming directly from a server to the DAC -- and of course the iPod only works with files in a format iTunes can handle. And so far as I know you have to do all your music selection from the iPod interface (the Wadia has a very limited remote control, but it is not much use), which isn't very convenient.

Bottom line -- you can often get a Wadia used, inexpensively, here on Audiogon and if you have an iPod then the Wadia is a cheap, easy entry into digital music. But in terms of both convenience and quality, you might want to save your shekels until you can afford a more comprehensive, convenient solution. Or, if you have a wireless network at home, you might want to look at a Logitech Touch for roughly the same money -- it is way more versatile. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have bothered to buy the Wadia, and the only reason I haven't sold it is because I would only want to sell it to someone who would really get some benefit out of it.