Impressions: $1k-$2k integrated amps

Hi there!

Id like to start a thread to collect impressions from about about integrated amps in the $1k - $2k range (new or used). 
How would you describe the character of the sound? How did it “pair” with other items in your rig? Most important, how did it compare with other amps in this category/on this list. 

This is not exhaustive but here’s a starting point:

Belles Aria

Yamaha a-s1100

Yanaha a-s2100 (used)

AVA SET 120 Control 

Anthem i225

Primare i21

Primare i22

Moon by Sim Audio 240i (used)

Rega Elex-R

Marantz PM8006

leemaze

Showing 3 responses by kren0006

I demo’d the Rega against the Bel Canto integrated over Maggie LRS speakers playing cd with Rega CD player.
Probably listened to each for half hour. Here are my notes that I took at time on my phone:

Auditioned Rega Elex-R vs. Bel Canto C5i integrated amps. Magnepan LRS speakers (no sub) with Rega Apollo CD player. Small room

Liked Rega better. Close. Rega better bass, more full bodied, more layers, grittier. Bel Canto more clarity, maybe more revealing, maybe little wider soundstage. Salesman thought BC better

Listened for about half hour each, Buddy Guy blues.

So I don’t have vinyl and didn’t listen to the Rega phono input, but since Rega foremost a turntable company, their integrated amp phono inputs are considered good as far as integrated phono stages go, from what I’ve read.

It should be noted the Bel Canto was class D, which can have advantages and disadvantages. That’s a whole separate topic. Bel Canto is a nice amp, I just liked the Rega a bit better but others would have opposite opinion, as the salesman did.

I’d look at Hegel also in the price range. Rega and Hegel both class A/B.

Rega has a sort of analog sound I would describe it. Hegel more forward a bit (but not bright -- bright would be Rotel in this price range.  Note that Rega doesn't include a DAC, whereas many others do (Hegel, Bel Canto, others that will be mentioned).  Not sure whether having an integrated DAC is important to you or not (for phono you won't need a DAC).

These just my subjective impressions. Others will disagree. All personal preference. YMMV.

FWIW, I settled instead on the Marantz PM7000n because it was less expensive and a true all-in-one (meaning it includes a streamer for streaming Tidal, Spotify, etc.). If my budget had been higher and I had space for multiple boxes (this was for my 3rd system), I'd have likely gone with Rega and an external dac/streamer.