Impedance switches on a Jolida JD 9II

I finally  got back into vinyl late last year and have a   upper end Pro-Ject turntable with a Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge, which I love. I also upgraded my integrated amplifier to a Rouge Sphinx 3, which supposedly has a  decent phone stage. No tone  controls on this unit so I was not head over heels with this unit out of the box,  but it has  grown on me but I can hear the weaknesses in the phono stage.

Six months in I wanted to upgrade the new phono stage. I went with the Jolida JD9II tube pre-amplifier. I already own a Black Ice Sound Expander for my Yamaha SACD/DAC player and  love it.  So I wanted to  utilize that warm tube  sound on the turntable.

My question is on the impedance switch settings. I could not find  much  guidance online. O & M on the Sumiko states if the pre-amp has " has capacitance loading capabilities, a Sumiko high output moving coil cartridges should be loaded with a value no higher than 200pf, and ideally below 100pf."

The settings on the switches are the  following.
In Ohms 100,300,1000,47,000
In Pico Fared
47, 100, 150, 220
I set the Ohm to 100 and the Pico Fared to 47.

I am definitely getting more volume at lower levels than with the Rouge but would appreciate more guidance on dialing in this cartridge in more using these settings.

I  prefer more bass than  higher end.

Thanks,
idigmusic64

Showing 1 response by mwh777

Perhaps this is addressed in the Audiokarma thread, but the capacitance can also be set to zero by setting all the pf switches to off. If you had a cart rated at 100 pf, it might sound best with the setting at zero.