Impedance Matching - Tube Amp/Speakers

Hi, I am not technical guy, so excuse my questions. This weekend my friend did check bias on my VTL ST-85, which I recently did buy, and he also measured my speakers Dunlavy SM-1. Multimeter showed him that they are 4 ohm spekares (althought, on paper, they should be 6 ohm). He told me that this is not good combination - 4 ohm speakers and tube amp. So, is it safe using VTL ST-85, or tube amps generally, with 4 ohms or 6 ohms speakers? I am really confused because I like sound, but also dont want damage my amp or speakers.
arzach
You should try the speaker with both the 4 ohm and 8 ohm tap to determine which sounds better. Using either is entirely "safe" in terms of not damaging gear.

The 4 ohm tap will deliver less power, but, it will increase the damping factor, something that may improve the frequency response (typically, tighter, better defined bass).
Guys, according to the Stereophile review linked to above there is only 1 output tap, "optimized" for 5 ohms, with power output being specified for 4 ohms. Some photos of the rear panel that can be found via Google's image search function appear to confirm that there is only 1 tap.

Unsound, thank you most kindly!

Regards,
-- Al
Thank you guys, alot of useful infos for me. I can confirm that my version of ST-85 has only 1 output tap, and also there is no triode/tetrode switch as on newer model. When I was comparing sound of Dunlavys with tubes (VTL) and with some solidstates (Teac ABX-10, SAC Mediatore monos), I noticed that SS has better bass control, speed and transients, but I expected that. Maybe better preamp could cover this area.
FWIW, in my conversations with the late great John Dunlavy, he had a strong preference for ss, and especially Class D amplification.
SS has better bass control, speed and transients, but I expected that. Maybe better preamp could cover this area.
While I am a big proponent of building a system around a great pre-amp, IMO, you are not going to get significant improvements in the areas you mentioned unless you change amplification. V. good tube amps can provide all of those elements, w/o sacrificing the good things that tubes do. This is all theoretical. I've never heard your amp and the speakers only once. YMMV.