If you had to narrow your choices to 4 - 5 speakers

To listen to at the upcoming Axpona, in the 10 - 20k range driven by a great solid state amp which ones would you search for? Yes understand listening conditions and room setups can make or break a system but just trying to narrow some choices. Thank you.

rsf507

I digress. My listening pleasure comes from both hearing the music as well as feeling it. A product of my intro to good tunes back in the early 1970s and I prefer it loud with a punch. I have upgraded integral pieces of my system right along but have never changed my speakers. I like horns and hard hitting bass and my Altec model 19s have remained in the forefront no matter what other upgrades I made. Easy listening aside, when I want to rock I want the big box sound my Altecs provide. Sure I have heard many much better speakers but dollar for dollar I just keep them.

In my 40+ years of reviewing, collecting, owning, and enjoying audio equipment, I can say with some degree of certainty that the following speaker brands make products that are relatively affordable and, most importantly, very easy to own and enjoy for a very long time: Harbeth, Golden Ear, Dynaudio, Audio Vector, and DeVore Fidelity. I would recommend against speaker brands that attempt to “wow” you with detail and impress you with exotic materials. These products often disappoint and become rather irritating over time. Remember, more expensive does not necessarily mean better. Also, make sure you get a good match for your electronics; this can be an ever-evolving process. Enjoy your journey!

Thiel!    Am about to readopt a pair of lovely 1.5 dressed in pristine teak.  My living room is not large, and planted in my relatively new Italian leather sofa, I am at one with their embrace.