If NOS pre or power tubes became unavailable altogether, what new tubes would you buy?

Hey tuberollers, 

I'm curious to see what happens if there's a gun to your head, or more practically all NOS tubes disappear (dread).  What would you do with your line/pre stage and/or power stage?  

I have tried 5 different NOS 12AU7s and only 1 new 12AU7 in my preamp section (Cifte, RCA black plates (late 50s), Sylvanias, Baldwin organ tubes, Amperex 70s orange globes, and new Chinese stock Primaluna tubes).  In my power section, I have not tried any NOS tubes and 3 types of tubes (stock Chinese Primaluna EL34s, reissue Mullard EL34s, and reissue Gold Lion KT88s).  

Side note: I haven't ventured into NOS power tubes because of the cost and availability/scarcity.  I need 8 of them!

Without having tried anything else, I would be lost on new or reissue 12AU7s.  On the power tube side, I'd be just fine with either the reissue Mullard EL34s or the Gold Lion KT88s.  
128x128jbhiller

Showing 5 responses by enginedr1960

I can see it now a Mexican on a big white horse wearing a tee shirt

with a picture of a 300b with a circle with a cross through it .

Ok Raul I agree with the DD turntable camp as well as the multiple subwoofers and have heard the Technics epc 205 cartridge . and agree it is one of the best . I am on the fence with the tubes and need to try some good SS gear to compare . I would like to here your thoughts on your digital front end . I am using a AOIP set up with a Foccusrite Red Net 3 to a Metrum  NOS type DAC      

I understand that and do . My system has 4 tubes the phase inverter tube a 12at7 type makes the biggest change in the tone . I use a SS digital pre with a TVC volume control . I like having a one tube roll
One thing about Raul is he can make you think . This is a tube rolling thread after all . The question I ask myself if different tubes sound different then maybe he is right . I know it is nice to use tubes to change the flavor to our liking but is it a true accurate representation of the recording ? I don’t think so . We must ask again do we want the truth or the euphoric pleasant distortion ? I too am using tube amps and love the way they sound but I am tempted to try a SS amp I am considering a Benchmark ABH-2 . At least I wont sweat in the summer .

Raul I have to agree with Tubegroover on this one . Like I said in another post " some people like pleasant distortion " In the US we

have a ice cream  store called Baskin Robbins and they have 31 flavors . The best thing about this hobby is you can tailor your sound to your liking by choosing the components of your taste and flavor . You many not agree with other peoples choices but that is ok. You should start another thread just like the other great ones you have started about your journey from tube to SS and have it  discussed there . You know I agree with you on many topics what is not proper is the way you are going about it . RC