If attending Capital Audiofest 2018, can you provide your review of the Ohm F-5015s

Forum members,

There is precious little online reviewing the performance of the Ohm F-5015 speakers with the integrated subwoofers.  If you were able to listen to them live at Capital Audiofest 2018 this weekend, please provide your thoughts as I am considering getting a pair.   

My alternative is to get the F5000 drivers (no subwoofer) to replace the now degraded drivers in my acquired and no longer functioning Ohm F's.  These will be my great room speakers.  Don't have any electronics yet, will get that after the speaker decision and purchase.

Thanks in advance
michiganbuckeye

Showing 1 response by michiganbuckeye

Mapman and Twoleftears,

Thank you both for your inquiry for more information.  Here are some more details.

I am starting from scratch on the electronics, so I can get a good amplifier match to the speakers once I make a speaker choice.   Haven't had an audio system in my great room for years.  Now that I have set aside some funding (kids in their college years, so other higher top priority), I wanted to get a nice system.

I have a 23" deep x 20' wide x 10' tall great room with adjacent 20' x 16' x 8' kitchen .  The great room is carpeted with a thick carpet and I have drywall walls covered with wall paper with windows on the side opposite the kitchen and windows at the opposite side of where the speakers go.  The speakers would be placed to the sides of a several foot high console with a thin screen TV on top.  The kitchen is to the side of the speakers, not behind them.  

Because of the large room, furniture is in quite a few places.  I have 2 couches in an L - shaped pattern, a foof chair off to one side and some sitting chairs there as well.  In discussions on another forum, the Ohm speaker line was recommended because of extended sweet spot and the the variety of seating positions in my room.  The most frequently used seating positions are not at the tip of the golden triangle for a conventional speaker system orientation.  I want to keep my furniture where it is located.

I have discussed my needs with both John and Evan of Ohm (both very helpful) and with their help have lowered my Ohm choices down to the two mentioned in my original post.  The issue is that I am located too far away to drive over to hear the F-5015s to confirm that these are what I want and to understand the effect that the subwoofer adds, so I am looking for general feedback and specific feedback on this from others.  There is quite a price differential between the F-5015s and the F5000 upgrade without subwoofers, both with trade in of the old Ohm F's (that money thing again) and I am trying to make the best choice. 

My wife is the primary music listener and she currently listens to music a lot on a portable player so this would be a huge upgrade.  We would also use the new system for the TV and some movie watching. Neither of us appreciate high volumes so the listening would be at normal to soft levels.   I may in the future add some surround sound speakers, but as of now, that isn't on the radar.