Ideas for a complete analog set up 2500- 3500

Stayed away from vynl because I didn’t want to complicate my already complicated audio life. Well things have settled down and I am considering the addition of analog.

My preference in sound: laid back, detailed (not in an analytical way), warm, musical (probably most important, spacious, with accurate bass.

I like visual style too, some examples of things I consider classy: Sonus Faber, Art Audio (a little flashy), Hovland (pre and amp), Mephisto, RixRax, Zotheticus, and so. TTs can be works of art as well as the ultimate playback. However I would choose substance over looks but would like to get alittle of both if possible.

I know very little about the analog side of things. I want a low maintenance set-up for as easy care as possible.

I don’t plan to change things after it is set up (yea right).

I would like to stay blissfully ignorant about all the details.

Around $2500-$3500 (used where possible) for everything – this includes table, arm, cart, wire, isolation, cleaning, and whatever else you think I should have.

Lets say you could only spend $2500-$3500 and it was going to be what you used from now on (regardless of your current set-up), what would you buy?

Thank you in advance for your insights

PS give complete systems when you can
bbtuna

Showing 3 responses by gumbydammit

I cant be quiet about this. If you want good looks, go to circuit city and buy a goddamn sony with all the pretty lights. They even have remotes that let you set every band on the 400 band EQ that is built in. I understand that the model that still has a phono section had the budget increased to allow for 1.20 worth of guts behind the phono plugs.
OY VEY..... LP-12 is about as solid a table as you can get. With any of the Linn gear, you get about as close to what was put on the vinyl pie as is possible.
While I agree with the advice of a good record cleaner, I would listen through the dust that remained after a brushing in order to get the best arm/cart as possible.
My suggested system: LP-12 Val/pwr suppl. Rega arm and one of the billion carts out there.
Talk to David Wilson @ Accent on Music in Mt Kisco NY
(914)242-0747. You can get a used one and have him look the thing over for you. I have seen people pay big money for substandard tables when they could have bought a used Linn and had David go through it for the same $$$ and in the end had a MUCH better deck.

If you want pretty, take the money you saved and buy some art for your wall. :>)
Zero set up issues brings one table to mind... A wall mounted Planar 3!
Pretty too. I know where there is a rare wall mount for one of these (made by rega) my buddy might be willing to part with.
But LP-12 horror stories are a bit "puffed" from what I have read. Once set up, they dont have to see the tech for years at a time.....carts need attention in between, but you cant get away from that regardless.
My Linn has not seen the wizard in 5+years and still is fine. Based on the listening time I have had since the last session with David, I would call it a bargain.

Pardon the sarcasm about the looks, but I am of the op. that sound is all that matters.
(But, you know.......I hear true canvas brings out vocals better than a print hehehe ;>)

Where are you? as in State?
Let me know how it sounds.
Wires on the cieling?
Not fer me tanks.
But I do have a 4X4 sticking out of my living room floor for my table to sit on....I dont know how far to the end that puts me.

You are very right, diversity is what makes this hobby fun.

Enjoy