I wasn’t sure where to classify this…

So this isn’t specifically audio focused, but people here understand things like

power management, THD and so on.

I moved from So-Cal where all I had to worry about was having a UPS for a 30 second or less power outage.  Now I live in So-Alabama where hurricanes could potentially take power out for up to 2 weeks!

in said situation, whole house backup generators are extremely

pricey!  I have a regular construction generator I want to use as an emergency backup, as well as a battery backup UPS on my computer.

this is a non-inverter generator, so it’s dirty power.  lol my

UPS protect my computer etc, and regulate the large THD issues, or do I need something to help adapt?  Since this is for backup, and I don’t plan to run my high end theater equipment on it, it’s merely asking advise on equipment that would help me not fry my computer in a 5-10 day power outage with dirty power.  Is the UPC enough?  Do I need more?

maverick3n1

As you suggested, I will get more water.  It’s cheap, easy to store, and a lot better to get now than to try and get after a disaster.  Thanks for the advice!

Another quick question.  When hooking up a portable generator with a bonded neutral, should the service transfer switch for the sub panel I plan to power, include just the two hots and neutral, but use the house’s ground, or should I also transfer the ground to the generator?  If I do so, how will this effect any GFI protected circuits that may be on this sub panel?