I want to replace the router/modem Comcast with a high quality for streaming

I wish to purchase a modem/ router for streaming high quality audio. Any suggestions? It must be compatible with Comcast/Xfinity

nyonalake

Showing 3 responses by vandy357

@goodlistening64 

I can't get Verizon here, other than 5G wireless service that is, otherwise I would give them a try.

@nyonalake 

I feel your pain, as a Comcast customer for the last 7-8 years I tried to go the route of buying my own cable modem to save some money on rental fees.  When I decided to buy a modem instead of renting I tried the cheap way first and got a Comcast compatible modem for around 80 bucks, that was a total fiasco with all kinds of connection problems.  Then I got the bright idea to go with a top of the line Motorola that was the fastest thing I could find, the cost was somewhere between 5 to 6 hundred bucks at the time, so certainly not just any old modem.  The problem was, from the start I had connection issues with the new modem, when I had a good connection it was blazing fast, so I just dealt with those issues for around 3 to 4 years.  I had to constantly reboot all the devices connected in my home to make everything work which was a pain but I was still saving some money so I kept rebooting everything.

I finally got fed up with all the connection problems and the constant rebooting, so I went to our local Comcast/Xfinity store and picked up their latest modem.  Since hooking the new Xfinity modem up to run my internet my connections issues are gone, and the new Xfinity modem is faster than the Motorola was.

So, here is my opinion on running a modem while on Comcast/Xfinity service that you are not paying them to rent.....they intentionally cause the connection issues with modems that you don't rent from them just so you will finally get tired of it and do exactly what I did-rent from them.  I can't prove any of that so of course this is only my opinion, but since I am renting from them again all my connection issues have pretty much disappeared.  Hope this help, good luck if you do decide to buy your own modem.

@goodlistening64

Unfortunately Comcast or CenturyLink are my only 2 options for internet service right now.  Comcast is is way better, I signed up with CenturyLink when they had a deal going on with a 2 year contract, as soon as that was over I went back to Comcast as fast as I could.  Now that I am using the Comcast/Xfinity rental modem my internet is way better with very few connection issues.  Having to use their equipment is just another way for them to make more money off you, IMHO.  I am waiting for Cspire to install a fiber optic network in my neighborhood but it doesn't look like that is going to happen any time soon, so I will just have to deal with Comcast, it's that or move and believe me I have been thinking about that lately also.