i want better sounding speakers

i have mirage OM5 (tired of home theat.just want stereo) what can i get into for the same money
jesseo1
Tomryan, I wasn't being serious--maybe you aren't either, or maybe you are. How can numeric values be set on such a subjective issue, and anyway isn't it clear that distortion (which is how that "breakdown" was presented to me, way back when--your post doesn't even explain that much) is not the measure of a system?

I just wanted to point out that the conventional wisdom is spend it all, or most, on speakers, and that there is a more productive alternative. But any point of view can be defended (and tested in practice), that's why we say YMMV.

I would agree that "source first" is another in the class of analyses of the problem to which the above percentile list belongs. But I believe it works better than the percentile list because it makes more sense.

More sense for the hobbyist or music lover who is starting to build a system, for the reasons I mentioned above.

More sense later on too, because for me, resolution is what makes it. The best systems seem to get out of the way of the music and reveal all of what is on the disc. If that's what you want, then let the downstream gear represent any necessary compromise, and the upstream gear provide it with the most possible data to process.
I was just kinda, um, saying that, uh, you know...hmmm.

I heard a guy on T.V. a couple weeks ago say, "Well, you've got about 50% of the people thinking one way and 50% the other. Then everybody else is somewhere in the middle." Thought it applied here. All I know is my system is now working at a full 125%! Alot like those athletes who give 110%!!

Seriously, though, I recently had to sub a pair of $250.00 speakers for the Harbeths which were being repaired. The subs actually sounded damn good and I think a lot of that had to do with the Air Tight and Plinius amps I use. The system almost sounded like a million bucks! (Don't cha hate it when people exagerate? Like I've said ten million times...)
after careful consideration I have decided to let the michigan michigan st. game choose my path-if michigan wins new speakers it is, if st. wins I se a new (new to me)amp+pre amp in the not to distant future- for most this would be a bad way to do this but I am starting from 0-as for the speaker advice paradigm sounded to much like the mirages I am trying to replace-no tingling in my loins listening to B&W-tylers definately put a little spring in my step-the sonus fabers were like a bleach blond w/fake breasts initially quite excited then I felt like just not enough substance(IMHO)vonscweikert are next on my list not many dealers around-wish me luck fighting the oppresion (I realize this is supposed to be fun but it is starting to feel alot like work-the rest of the world should should have my problems)
As a graduate of U of M I think you're going to end up with a new amp/pre-amp. Michigan ain't looking too good this year. And how the hell does the alumni association find me every time I move? I graduated in 1976 and haven't given a penny since. Still get letters from them.
the sonus fabers were like a bleach blond w/fake breasts
Now now, some of us quite like them that way...

( rofl, thanks, I had a good chuckle over that post... )