I took the plunge - PS Audio Stellar DAC and S300

I should get them tomorrow as beta test units.  Current speakers are first gen. Klipsch Reference RF-3s from high school. I will be referencing the units through a Grace 905 monitor controller. I know the speakers are the weak link but I've had them for almost 20 years and I know them well and have gone through 4 amp/preamp setups. Excited to see what I notice!    
parkinen

Showing 4 responses by parkinen

I'm really enjoying these units so far. I'm told the volume control can be bypassed for AV purposes, but without a manual I have yet to see it in action.

It's hard to discern what is doing what because I swapped my old integrated and replaced it with these two units, but my gut tells me that this amp is really impressive. Even at 140 wpc it seems to have immense reserves of power and very tight dampening. It hasn't ever sounded "loud"so far, it only gets bigger with volume if that makes sense. I've only run it in about 5 hours so there likely still some break in to do.  I can only imagine what the m700s can drive. I've swapped between the Stellar DAC and some other DACs and I have yet to sit down and really sort out the front end of this system, mostly because I have some rewiring to sort out still. 

So far my verdict is thumbs up. Love it when a simple change lets you enjoy the music again.   
I keep enjoying these units more and more. they keep getting smoother, especially around the 1k region and up in maybe 10k. The low level detail is very very good for their price point. The sound is very open, very clean with big power reserves from the amp. Again very good dampening.

The DAC is pretty cool: I've started to jump into the menu a bit to name my inputs and set the theater bypass up. To me, pre amps/controllers should be as much about convenience as it is sound and the Stellar DAC is a simple, straight forward, control center. The DAC in the unit sounds quite good compared to other pieces of equipment I've got around the house. Impressed so far. 
mdeblanc - very much so. My ONLY gripe with the DAC is I wish that instead of having two discreet coax spdif inputs and one optical spdif input, is that it had two optical and one coax instead. OR an internal bluetooth receiver on one of those inputs so I could just stream music from my Tidal straight into the DAC. There are so many more bluetooth receivers with toslink optical outs vs coax digital outs.

In general - I now listen to more music because:

a) I love what I hear
b) It’s so very easy and convenient to dial up a record
c) I love what I hear

Also I will say this - the S300 has pretty impressive reserves. Unless you've got some seriously power hungry speakers and need big volume with the S700s, the S300 is more than capable of getting very big SPLs without sounding strained or harsh. 
So I've had these units for just about two years now and here are my more seasoned observations:

The DAC is wonderful. It is such a great hub for modern listening. you can make it work with so many different types of setups. It's great. 

The S300 is a solid work horse class D piece and is a wonderful class D amp, but after switching to B&W 805S2s I wish I had about twice the horsepower in a class A setup. 

it's a great amp for efficient speakers. And it is wonderful with bright speakers too.