I'm putting to rest worrying about sibilance

I just ran a test on three different turntables I own. I played various recordings, each of which exhibit sibilance to some degree, mostly female vocalists. The three tables are pro-ject the classic with the hana el, music hall mmf7 with factory mounted eroica h, and my brand new thorens td 240-2 with the ortofon om10 also factory installed. My dilemma began with constant worrying about the first table (the pro-ject) as I thought I was hearing a bit of sibilance only on certain records. So I played the very same records, mostly used from thrifts etc, on all three tables and adjusting volume or gain for each. Well, I found that all three table and cartridge combinations exhibit the sibilance in the same parts of songs on each recording. My findings are that what I perceive as higher sibilance on the hana can be contributed to its (imo) better high frequency response. In other words, the other tables and cartridges had the sibilance, but to a lesser prominence, but it WAS there. So my conclusion is that it Is just inherent in the lp medium to some degree, and more so with used records. I have farted around enough with the hana el and I am no longer going to fret over it. I would have a hard time believing that all three tables and cartridges are that badly aligned etc to all cause some sibilance here and there. All three were checked and seem to be dead on. The only table I personally installed cartridge on was the pro- ject (hana el) also, three preamps were tried during testing, my marantz pm14s1 built in, a musical fidelity lx lps, and a pro-ject tube box ds2. Lastly the hana el was adjusted when installed to align with the cartridge body and not the cantilever (just easier imo) using a proper protractor, and the vta was adjusted so that the hana is a bit ass down, as I think the hana sounds right like that. So there is my conclusion. I’ve been reading forum after forum about the sibilance issue somehave, but I think I feel better after doing what I did as described above, and refuse to drive my self nuts any longer!😁
Just to add, the listening was first performed on the other 2 tables, the mmf7 and thorens, again both have factory installed cartridges, also checked by me. In doing so I ruled out the hana inscribing the record grooves with the sibilance in the event its mis aligned, which it is not....
128x128audioguy85

Showing 4 responses by jdub071

Well, I suppose we all have to be OCD about something.....I have seen this Canadian on you tube, can't think of his name, think Farraway is his last who is a musician by trade and ends his rant with "remember, vinyl is final" he also crafts home brew beer, maybe that has something to do with it....but he is missionary in his zeal to get rid of sibilance and has gone thru a lot of carts. His current fave is Ortofon Blue. I've heard it on his you-tube channel and it does sound real smooth and sibilance free w/his new Fluance signature turntable. That being said it doesn't sound natural to me. I think sibilance is just part of the recording process so I don't really care if it shows up in certain passages, usually women's vocals. This is not my first rodeo w/vinyl. Back in the '70's I had an audiophile table...an ERA 48 pole synchrous motor belt drive (made in France) with a Grace 707 tone arm and tried various carts but Grado's had just came out and for the money blew away about any offerings from Shure, Empire or the usual suspects. I don't remember anybody back then complaining about sibilance. I have about a 40 plus year old Linda Ronstadt recording called simply Linda Ronstadt which is my fave Linda Ronstadt with classics like "Rock me on the Water" (which gives me goosebumps, and not from the sibilance which it has plenty of. I have set up with my Nagaoka mp110 with a protractor on my ATLP-5 turntable by Audio-Technica which was an award winning table in its price range. I mated it with a Schiit Mani preamp which is highly rated in it's price range and sounded good. But when I got a new amp and preamp, Emotiva PT-100 and Bas-x A-150 it exhibited too much hum and I quit using it and used the inboard pre-amp which has no hum at all and sounds as good as the schiit, anybody want to buy a phono preamp? Also have Elac B-6 speakers with rolled off highs and still get sibilance with this album I cherish. So I'm going to enjoy it and chalk up sibilance to the recording process. What I am OCD about is hum.
Audioguy 85-just hear s's sizzling kinda and a little distortion. Kinda like running out of headroom.
Sibilance exists in nature and in everyday conversation--ever hear somebody talk with their dentures out? There is nothing perfect in nature or the recording process. If a little or lot for that matter comes rolling out of the mouth of Linda Ronstadt or any other singer then the mics are going to pick it up. To say a mid-fi or lesser or better system is going to get rid of it is I don't think possible or desirable without making the recording totally not real.