I’m looking to upgrade my Magnum Dynalab MD106T???

I am wanting to upgrade my Magnum Dynalab MD106T tuner. It must have balanced outputs and doesn’t need to be a tube tuner. My current MD106T sounds nice but I’m wanting to upgrade. Any advice on a nice tuner to upgrade to would be appreciated. My 106T is nice sounding but I wonder what nicer is out there.
128x128mitchb

Showing 11 responses by mitchb

Probably Amperex. Are they good? They sound better than what I used to get from Magnum Dynalab. Two of them were $100 shipped. I’m enjoying my tuner again. I’ve found that these tubes got better with some play time. Maybe it’s my imagination but my tuner sounds good again.
I’ve been playing with tubes and find my MD106T tuner to be quite nice. I just put in a pair of Siemens gold pins and the sparkle is nice. The Amperex Orange tubes are also quite nice. The Siemens may be nicer but more expensive.
I'm using an MD ST-2 antenna which is installed outside. I've experimented with placement and find it works better on my back yard fence than on my house roof. The tuner sounds good but I just wonder what could be a nice improvement. I've  noticed that different tubes give different types of sound. I am currently using  Amperage tubes and they are nice. I may be missing a little sparkle which may be a result of total cable upgrades everywhere. I've been listening to the tuner all night long now giving my transport and streamer a rest. In all honesty my tuner sounds good now that warm and the reception is good this evening. I just ask about better out of curiosity but my current tuner is quite nice.
I must admit my MD106T is sounding nice today/last night  as I have been listening for hours and I think my relatively new Amperage tubes may be sounding better with some playtime or maybe the reception is good now. An upgraded antenna would be nice but is my  MD ST-2 antenna not a decent antenna? I don't think we would be allowed to install something large on our roof? We own our home but live in a town house complex. It would be nice for a better antenna. Any advice on an upgrade to an MD ST-2 antenna?
I find my self at the mercy of reception. At least my ST-2 outside sounds better than a ribbon antenna inside. My digital both transport streamer and dac sounds better than FM but there is something special about music off air with a tuner.
I think that is what I will do. I will just enjoy my tuner which was sounding good enough last night to listen to all night long. The newer Amperage tubes are good sounding and my ST-2 antenna is carefully placed in a good place. It is interesting that the antenna sounds better on the back yard fence than on the roof where I got multipath. The only thing with the 106t is that the tubes need replacing from time to time. I’ve noticed that the fancy expensive cryo tubes go faster than the less expensive not as good sounding tubes. Hopefully the Amperage tubes I am using will last a while. I just completely recabled my entire system so I have a new improved sound all around. Yesterday my wife enjoyed the sound of my tuner with me which is new for her as she used to dislike the sound of the tuner.
I used to play around with vintage tuners and they were nice. I got involved with Magnum Dynalab with my first Etude tuner and finally in 2009 I got my 106t and had upgraded caps installed and of course a variety of tubes. Living where I do the reception is ok but when the reception is strong and the ac is clean with steady voltage the sound is stunning.
Commercials and talk are part of the Dxing experience for me. I am enjoying my tuner again. It is actually quite nice.
I’ve completely lost the itch to upgrade my tuner since I’ve upgraded my tubes and power cable. With the power cable and tubes upgrade my tuner sounds glorious. I’ve been listening to my tuner only for a couple of days.
I just got my tuner back from repair at Magnum Dynalab and it is sounding better than ever. The tuner is 12 years old already but it has had maintenance at Magnum Dynalab over the years. This last time they upgraded the caps in the output section of the tuner and they put in good tubes. The tuner sounds good again and it will get better with play time.I am very pleased. I will keep my MD106T tuner as it is an excellent tuner.