I'm going to start from scratch

Hi,
I could use some suggestions on how to begin building my dream stereo. I do not have the $12,000-$15,000 it would take to buy all of the components that I would like right away so I am going to have to start piece by piece. Right now my budget is $5,000. I currently own a Marantz 2325 which I really like and would not sell. I would consider using it in my stereo system for the near term until I replace it with a pre amp and power amp. At that point I would use the Marantz for a second stereo in another part of the house or the garage. I am running a set of Klipsch KG 3s and a 1991 Denon single disc CD player. I am not sure of the model number, but it is a pretty nice CD player for the $30 I payed for it at the local pawn shop. My source requirements for my new system will be about 70 percent CD and 30 percent from my Ipod or Mac. I would like to add a turntable in the future, but I am not currently in to vinyl and I don't intend to be until my system is closer to where I would like it to be. The system would be going in a 12'X16' room. Musically I like to listen to Rock, Jazz, Blues, and Big Band. I have auditioned a fair amount of components locally. The only thing that I am really leaning towards right now is a set of B&W 803d's. I really like the way they sound. I would consider buying used equipment from a reputable source. So I guess my question is do I buy the B&W's and run them from my Marantz receiver which pushes 125 WPC with my Denon CD player? Or do I start by buying a Power amp and using my Marantz as a tuner/pre with my Denon CD player and Klipsch speakers? Or should I start by buying a nicer CD player and a reasonably priced used power amp. I guess I am open to all suggestions. I know the difference between a good and great sound system. I am willing to take the plunge to someday have a great system. I am just a little overwhelmed with all of the choices. If there are brands that I should check out I would be willing to travel a couple hours to audition them if there is not a dealer in my town.

Thank you for your input.
yates0269
There are so many spkr mngrs out there that you can make yourself crazy with it, but in particular I like British speakers a lot. For the most part, they are usually always very warm and pleasing sounding that disappear and don't draw attention to themselves.

In the $1500-2000 range, I really like the ProAc Response 2's which retailed for $3K back in the early 90's and also the single driver Omega hemp speakers which are a current design. Also, Omegas give you the opportunity to experiment with low powered SET amps which I find very captivating.

Spendors, Harbeth, JMR's and Reference 3A's are also supposed to be incredible speakers in your price range as well, just haven't had the chance to audition them yet.
over time I would like to upgrade and change pieces out to try to achieve different better sounds
Another way to approach system building is to listen to different systems put together by a dealer, or dealers, with whom you can discuss your sonic preferences. Lou made a good point about the importance of system synergy, the components in a system need to work together to achieve some pre-determined end, so figuring out your personal sonic priorities is an important first step.

How important are soundstaging and image localization? What weight do you put on the texture, timbre, and body of instruments? What about pitch integrity, rhythm, dynamics? No product, or system, does all things well. Some years, back, Martin Colloms of Stereophile wrote, "It's ironic that you can have an extended bandwidth, or high sound levels, or great stereo imaging, or very low coloration, or powerful, low-distortion bass, or several worthy combinations of these, yet rarely can you obtain these with a coherent, focused combination of natural dynamics, pace, and rhythm."

A good dealer can help sort out one's priorities and assemble a system that will satisfy. One customer might be thrilled with a system made up of a VPI turntable, VTL amplification, and Vandersteen speakers. Another might prefer a Linn turntable, Exposure amplification, and Spendor speakers. Both good systems, but perhaps neither customer would appreciate what the other had put together. And it's all too easy to throw together some excellent pieces of equipment that simply don't mesh as a system to do anything well.
Do all CD players have a built in DAC? If so are the onboard DAC's much better in a higher end CD player? If I buy a CD player with a built in DAC could I put off buying one of those until I have the speakers, preamp, and amplifier that I want?