I'm frustrated with people who don't ...

Sorry for a long post...
Recently I was at a 3-day meeting out of town for work. For an evening activity we had a cook out at a colleague's house. While there, we gathered around his deck and a small fire in the back yard. I found myself in a group of 6 guys discussing hobbies. I mentioned my love for audio and began to describe my system and music library. Almost instantly, I was "pounced" for believing that any "hi end" component is worth the money compared to anything else one can buy from Best Buy. "Digital is digital" one guy stated, "an $89 player is as good as anything else out there". I attempted to defend my position but in no way was I able to convince anyone. I told them the next time they're in town, I'd have them over to my place and let them hear the difference, but I know most will not acknowledge the quality of sound. Footnote: I've known these guys for 3-5 years and they are professional level headed guys, I wasn't bragging, I made no grand statements that my system is better than anything else, I just talked about my interest and brought it up when they asked me. The icing on the cake was their disbelief that my system can only play one CD at a time... "you don't have a carousel on your CDP?" Man, I was frustrated.
mijknarf
It's Leica all the way...until you reach Hasselblad!
And both use Zeiss optics exclusively!
Film v digital: if you're after quality its film!
Even Hasselblads 22megapixel digital back doesn't even come close 35mm, nevermind the 60mm it is supposed to replace!
And if you never listened to an analogue mastertape (stereo on 1/2inch tape or 24track on 2inch, both running at 30ips) you don't know how good audio can be.Moral: Digital can be convenient and it is cheap, yet for pure quality it still lags far behind!
Someone I know who attended PHOTOKINA and he mianly uses Nikon film gear. He said the for film the days are numbered as he was surprised that for the first time there were no transparency film developers at the Photokina. Everyone was into digital. Another friend of mine who is also a film user said he was watching some documentary on Telly and they were giving comparision of the resolution of film and digital, the digital actually beat the film!

From the two different sources I can gather that truly the days are numbered for film.

I still don't know why Nikon came out with this F6 though!:)
All of my friends and relatives used to nod their heads indulgently wheneaver I talked about audio, just like the guys you described. Then, last weekend, my wife held a surprise birthday party at our house and invited everyone over.

Within 5 minutes of each guest arriving, they would gravitate to my system and start asking what brand of gear it was, where I got it, requesting to hear different cd's, etc. It was fun watching their ears being figuratively openned for the first time as to what a non-Best Buy rig sounds like.

The problem is that so few people have ever experienced a well-matched high-end rig that they take it as an article of faith that all gear sounds the same. I know the folks who came to our party don't feel that way anymore.
Garyk,

My system is far from being termed as high-end but it is also not something you buy at the Best Buy. I have had similar experience when folks come over who have never heard anything better than a typical $500 rack system.

They usually start of by saying "Why dont you have the wires concealed rather than it lying all over the place?" than maybe "Why do you have those cones under your CD Player, I can see the feet?"

Some however, have actually gone ahead and bought a good system with my advise, those were the ones who had never heard anything beyond boombox, but, they realised what they were missing.

Only if we can be a bit patient with such people we might as well convert some to this hobby and no longer be called ENDANGERED SPIECES :)
Sound is registered by the sence of hearing. Food is regristered by the sence of tasting. Since all CD players, speakers, amplifiers, power cords sound alike, all food must taste alike. After saying this, take him to a MacDonalds restaurant and tell him that a Big Mac is the same as Beef Wellington.