I expected more from my speakers (not high end)

20+ years ago, I bought a system for music but probably more for blasting home theater. It sounded great for Saving Private Ryan. Well, Ive grown up and would like to get back to listening to music, preferably with reasonable sound quality. I dismissed the old Denon receiver, picked up an NAD c368 with an old bluray player for cds (I since bought a better player). My speakers which I always thought would be adequate are Paradigm Monitor 7 v1 and a 15' Velodyne sub. Im not impressed. Everything sounds kindof compressed although I think the sub blends in nicely. I know its all subjective but would a modest upgrade in speakers (say less that 2K) have the potential for significant improvement? I guess I could try to sell the Paradigms (although I am a little emotionally attached) - I have original packaging after all these years. The only part of the system that Im confident is adequate (other than the new amp) are the massive Tara Labs biwires. Ok starting to ramble. Id appreciate any thoughts. Thanks
johngaltwho
there is no such thing as an improvement. you havent the foggiest idea what youre seeking do you? What kind of polar response do you want? If you cant tell us then how are we supposed to know which speaker has what youre looking for?

OK, fair enough. I failed to articulate anything useful as a starting point. In any case, I bought an Audiolab 6000N Play and tried it out for the first time with Amazon HD and it sounds really good to me. Im not sure why the CD sounded so compressed in comparison but this sounds great.  I'll show myself out.
I apologize kenjit was the first to respond here.  He’s like the village idiot they let hang around here and nobody really knows why.  Without knowing more about what sound characteristics are most important to you and what specifically you’d like to improve upon (other than congestion), I’d highly suggest looking at the LSA-20 Signatures available here from the manufacturer on sale for $2299.  I’m confident they’ll be a huge improvement over your Paradigms in every parameter, and they offer a 30-day trial period in the remote chance they don’t absolutely blow you away (yes, even with your current electronics).  Read the reviews, and best of luck.