I don't get it...Exile on main Street-Blue

I love to listen to great podcast/interviews with great musicians. Last night i listened to Rick Beato interview Maynard from the great band Tool. Besides being a fantastic conversation, Maynard told Rick the two most influential albums for his music inspiration are Joni Mitchell Blue, and Black Sabbath's first self titled record.

I understand and love Black Sabbaths first record, but I have listened to JM Blue countless times and just don't understand what the hype is. Full disclosure I love female vocalists, and I also love Joni's  Court and a Spark. With that said I have heard many musicians rave about Blue. Please enlighten me-what am I missing ?

The other head scratcher for me is Exile on Main Street by the Stones. Again I have heard many musicians rave about this double album. I don't get it... Beggars Banquet-Let it Bleed-Sticky Fingers are so much better in my opinion, but just like Blue, It seems like musicians much prefer Exile on Main Street.

I know its all subjective...but these are two records I have never learned to appreciate. Thoughts ?

krelldog

i don't think exile is the greatest ever rock album (that honor, depending on my mood, might go to "ok computer" or "dark side of the moon" or "ziggy" or "the who sell out," among many others). however, i do think it's the greatest double album--except for "rip this joint", which i never cared for, there's not a duff track. "london calling" comes close, while "layla" should have been pared down to a single record.

I get what OP is saying. Every so often I read some recommendation  of Blue, or I see it's offered on Acoustic Sounds as a 45rpm Ultradisc & I think I  should revisit it & see if like it. Each time I try I get about 3 songs in  & have to turn it off. And I like female vocalists, honestly. But I just can't. And then I wonder why.