I don't get it...Exile on main Street-Blue

I love to listen to great podcast/interviews with great musicians. Last night i listened to Rick Beato interview Maynard from the great band Tool. Besides being a fantastic conversation, Maynard told Rick the two most influential albums for his music inspiration are Joni Mitchell Blue, and Black Sabbath's first self titled record.

I understand and love Black Sabbaths first record, but I have listened to JM Blue countless times and just don't understand what the hype is. Full disclosure I love female vocalists, and I also love Joni's  Court and a Spark. With that said I have heard many musicians rave about Blue. Please enlighten me-what am I missing ?

The other head scratcher for me is Exile on Main Street by the Stones. Again I have heard many musicians rave about this double album. I don't get it... Beggars Banquet-Let it Bleed-Sticky Fingers are so much better in my opinion, but just like Blue, It seems like musicians much prefer Exile on Main Street.

I know its all subjective...but these are two records I have never learned to appreciate. Thoughts ?

krelldog

I don’t get Blue either and I love Joni Mitchell.  For the Roses, Court and Spark, The Hissing of Summer Lawns, Hejira and Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter are all outstanding and get a lot of play on my system.  Maybe I need to revisit Blue, but it’s just never clicked.  Exile on Main Street is a great album but would tend to agree with you that Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, and Sticky Fingers are better imo.

I was...I love both Joni and the Stones. The above mentioned records were far from their best in my opinion. The point of my post is that countless times I hear an interview with a great musician...these two records are often mentioned as their inspiration to make great music.

I'm certainly not saying their wrong... I'm just saying I missed the boat on both of these iconic records.

TylerMunns- Go read your DEI manual and crawl back into your miserable life.

he/him

@tylermunns not sure how any of the OPs opinions are sexist.  Differentiating male and female vocals is not sexist.  The average vocal range of the two is different.  Noting the difference is not the same as saying men sing better than women.  And in this case saying that you like female vocals has nothing to do with being sexist.  Liking female vocalists is no different than saying I like the saxophone.  Neither is a genre but certainly valid non-sexist statements. 

I can't stand Mitchell. (And to be fair it's not just the music, all subjective, my memories)

Let It Bleed is my #1, #2, #3 Stones album. Exile is OK.