I am stunned

After reading these forums for awhile I can finally say that I am a skeptic no longer with respect to biwiring. I recently purchased a demo pair of Martin Logans from a local dealer and found that I did not have enough money to purchase a decent set of speaker cables. As I was getting ready to take the speakers home the dealer stopped me and offered to loan me a set of cables until I had enough cash (Great Dealer!!!) to purchase some cables. Well, when I got home I discovered that the Logans were easily biwirable and that the cables he lent me were biwire cables. When I auditioned the Logans the dealer must have connected the jumpers when I told him I was not interested in biwiring a set of speakers. I figured what the hell, lets give it a try. I connected everything up, popped in a CD and my mouth fell to the floor. Unbelievable. So from one ex-skeptic to anyone who has a doubt. Biwiring works, I am an EE and frankly do not care why anymore.
liguy
Callahfc, "probably without realizing it"??????? How very condescending of you! In fact, this whole problem boils down to a theory of knowledge, and it was exactly that point that I was trying to make. You are in a lot worse a position to tell me how a thing affects my senses than I am to tell myself how my senses have been affected.

Empericism n. 1. the view that experience, especially of the senses, is the only source of knowledge. (The American Heritage College Dictionary, Third Edition, Houghton Mifflin Co., Boston-New York, 1997. at p.451.)

We can argue all day long about which is better, red or blue, and how to measure that difference in scientific terms. But as long as I live, no amount of partonage will ever convince me one way or the other. It is a subjective determination under any circumstance.

Cogito, ergo sum.
Thanks,
Chris
Hi Dekay,

This is wildly off-topic, but--
I would argue that there's a lot less "storage" going on here in the U.S. than you suggest. In any case, I *was* referring to a cultural group when I remarked on the generally postivistic outlook of most Americans--it is a deeply-embedded part of our culture (regardless of whatever multi-cultural melting takes place). And of course, the dominant culture of the U.S. derives from European culture--and Positivism is a French invention (Comte). So I don't think we're really in disagreement here.
Hi Chris,

In all fairness, I did say "possibly," not "probably." In any case, I agree that it's an interesting epistemological problem, not because of what it means for the way we understand audio gear, but for what it means regarding our understanding of how the world works.

I attempted to suggest that in our culture a substantial proportion of the population doesn't realize that there is even such a thing as an epistemological problem. It's easy enough to talk about objectivity, subjectivity, empiricism, and all that, but when we dig down to examine what these really mean and what their ramifications are regarding how we view the world, not to mention their cultural and historical origins, things become more complicated; and this is an endeavor that IMO few in the population at large ever attempt, or even recognize as possible.

Sometimes you need to toss a bomb or two to get folks to take a look at their unexamined assumptions. ;-)

And as I said before, this is all in fun.
Callahfc: Yes and no, I would guess on agreement. I have a tendency to view America as being divided/segregated on a whole. I do however prefer to live in areas that I find to be a melting pot (we live in West Hollywood, CA right now which is a good example of this) and do not feel comfortable in exclusive areas, regardless of who habitates them. I came from a very mixed family which I am certain influenced me in this regard. Anyway, back to audio and I hope that Liguy will be able to try out the ML's with both single and bi-wiring in his own setup and post the results.
I am stunned. By many of the responses above.

Of course Liguy's reported experience tells us nothing about bi-wiring. At a minimum, Liguy, you could compare "biwiring" with the jumpers or shorting straps in place to traditional bi-wiring (taking them out), and then tell us what you think. If you prefer the sound with the jumpers removed then we would "know" that with your speakers in your room you think bi-wiring is better than single wiring (that's for Callahfc, with whom I am in general agreement).

I also appreciated Jbhunter's post. I don't even want to talk about the voice analogy.

And I agree in spirit with Redkiwi and (I think) Chstob. We've beaten this issue to death. Nothing any of us can say will lead to any sort of conclusion about the merits of biwiring. If you have single wire cable now and you are happy with the sound, leave well enough alone and experiment with the placement of your speakers. You'll get more of a difference from repositioning your speakers than from changing wires unless there is really someting wrong with the wires you have.

If you have bi-wire cables like Liguy, experiment with leaving the jumpers/shorting straps in and taking them out. Decide for yourself if you can detect a difference and prefer one way or the other. I did and I like my speakers bi-wired. That proves nothing other than I like my speakers bi-wired.