I am enjoying my analog system, but what can I do to improve?

I currently have Technics 1200G turntable with Dynavector 17XD cartridge playing through Kitsune LCR 1 MK5 phono pre and Allnic L7000 preamp. My amps are Pass X350.5 and Benchmark AHB2 driving Sound Lab ESL speakers. My system sounds great, but I am wondering how I can take my system to another level. What do you think?

128x128chungjh

qwin, I cannot comment on differences in sound quality between an SL1200 Mk2 and the 1200G series, but do bear in mind that there are several variants of the G series, to include the G, GR, GAE, and lord knows what else, and that the low end of the line costs around $1700, not by any means a high price for a very fine turntable. Furthermore, the build quality of the G series is just much higher than that of the SL1200 Mk2 and its siblings. The motor is completely different; it is a coreless motor of much higher quality than that of the original. Coreless motors have much lower propensity for cogging or have no cogging, depending upon who builds it and how its built. (But I am not claiming that the SL1200 Mk2 has an audible problem with cogging. Like you, I doubt that it does.) The chassis and platter of the G series is also sturdier and much better damped than that of the SL1200 series. So, you are free to hold any opinion about how one sounds vs the other, but there are important upgrades in the G series that are not trivial. In my opinion, it was a bad marketing decision for Technics to make the G series look so much like the SL1200 series, if for no other reason than that it promotes the delusion that the two turntables must be similar in performance, specs notwithstanding.

Has anyone directly compared MK3 with 1200G? MK3 has better specs and a more powerful motor, can you really hear a CLEAR improvement in a blind- fold test?

Am I missing something? what's the big thing about the new Coreless motor.

All the Technics DD turntables are Coreless are they not?

They have produced many variants on different models over the years.

Where is this extra build quality people are talking about?

Not in the motor build, not in the platter, not in the bearing, not in the arm. These items are of similar construction.

They made minor changes to what was a well respected deck to justify the higher price when re-launched. Take any of the elements and do a side by side comparison. Although we are told it is better quality, re designed from the ground up, there are no meaningful details of any of the upgrades. Look at the two main bearings, exactly the same principle and crappy sheet metal plate supporting the thrust pad. They stuck a brass sheet on top of the platter, many people use Copper.
I'm not saying the late models aren't slightly better sounding than the earlier ones, just put things in perspective, they are very similar construction and performance from what I've heard. Never heard a like for like comparison in the same set up, but I've not had my socks blown off by the latest models when I've heard them hooked up to decent kit.

I think that's all I've got to say on the subject, people can make up their own minds. But in terms of design and build quality, I would prefer a good used SP10 any day of the week.

@qwin, I have never directly compared 1200G to SP10. What do you think are the audible sound improvements in favor of SP10?

If the rest of the system is capable, the SP10 has weight and authority, bass is well defined and timing/separation is good. Basically high on PRAT. Again its not massively better. The 1200G is a good deck, to step up from there you need to be looking at serious kit. The laws of diminishing returns means improvements will be small, but costs will be high.
And a well set up 1200G will always sound better than a poorly set up SP10 of course (Arm/Cartridge dependant).
For anyone starting without a Turntable, or stepping up from a modestly priced one, the 1200G represents a large outlay. A  previously owned SP10 has more potential in my opinion and a decent example of a MkII could be had for a lot less money.
If you already have a 1200G then this would not be a good move financially and more of a sideways step performance wise.
I heard a Mk5 and SP10 in the same set up, both good examples, with decent cartridges and arms. The SP10 was slightly better but not by much.
Though, to be fair, Mk5 had bearing, power supply and platter upgrades.