HT pre-amp/proccessor advise.

I currently use an Outlaw Model-950, but am considering upgrading. I'm looking for the best audio performance I can get for two channel stereo, multichannel SACD, DD/DTS. Video performance is not really inportant as I run my video direct to my TV. It would also be nice if the processor had crossover filters for 5.1 analog inputs. I have a tight budget of $1500 and will probably have to buy used. Any recommendations?
jack_dotson

Showing 3 responses by bignerd100

Possibly Audio Refinement Pre-5 (no processing or video switching) with an ICBM.
The Pre-2 DSP is a really great processor. It may not do all of the whiz-bang things that Sony's and the like will do but it does do what it was designed to do very well. My only gripe is that the remote absolutely sucks. This can be amended with a $35 Sony learning remote. After the thing is set up properly all you need is the ability to switch inputs and change the volume.

Good luck!
PLII is available on the Pre-2 DSP. I don't know that this would be a selling point but it is another stinsled logo that can adorn the faceplate. But if we were looking to maximize our processors logo bearing potentiality we would all have Sony's.

What I have found the Pre-2DSP to provide is a minimilistic approach to surround sound while maintaining the integrity of the two channel playback. If you have a very large room that could possibly benefit from 6 or 7 channel surround sound this may not be the processor for you.

In your price range there is a nice processor from NAD that does a good job, has very intuitive set-up menu and is just plain easy to use. It is not going to touch the AR in sound quality though.

Good luck!