HT gets more and more complicated.

Man this sure gets complicated.

I recently upgraded from my old AVR to a new DENON 3803, and man, there are alot of formats out there.

DD 5.1
DD 5.1EX
DTS
DTS ES
DTS ES Matrix
NEO:6

for crying out loud. My last Thx cert AVR was nowhere near this complicated.

The worst part, is that the DENON 3803's instruction manual totally sucks.
----------------------------------------
Here are some questions

1) Which is better? Dolby Digital 5.1? or DTS? Whats the difference?

2) I have a DVD audio player. Right now i have a coax digital interconnect connecting my DVD-A to the Denon, and i have set the DVD player to allow the Denon to do the decoding. Is this wrong? Will the Denon 3803 be able to properly decode the DVD-A discs, or will it decode the info as straight dvd? would it be better to use the 6 channel out from the dvd to the 6 channel input to the denon and let the panasonic DV-A7 DVD-a player do the decoding?

3) PCM is this Pulse Code Modulation?, is it a form of Time divsion multiplexing?

4) Im curious, my DVD manual says that i need to use BITSTREAM to send the data to the DENON. Then it talks about PCM down conversion where it changes the 96/24b signal to 44/18(i think). Is this degrading the sound quality? Does this actually convert it to a lower resolution signal? my DVD manual says i need to set the down conversion to YES.

5) does anyone who owns a DENON know what the AFDM option in the surround setup is? i cannot find anything in the manual about it.
slappy

Showing 1 response by lev335

Hello there is some very good info above. Here is the deal Dolby Digital which is AC3 Was really the first in the new wave of Digital Home Theater And your correct there are more formats coming out but some of them do require compatable components to really take advantage of the new formats. they all can sound good depending on the way it was mixed which has alot to due with the final product.its a no brainer that DTS SOUNDS BETTER THAN DOLBY DIGITAL AND HERE IS WHY TO BE EXACT DOLBY DIGITAL RUNS AT 16 BIT TO WHERE DTS RUNS AT 20 BIT ND THE 4 BIT DIFFERENCE IS REALLY BIGGER THAN YOU WOULD THINK. You will start to notice your local movie theaters are starting to use DTS MORE AND MORE AND THEY SAID "" SOON WE WILL BE RUNNING DTS FOR ALL MOVIES"" WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO IT THEY ALL SOUND GREAT DEPENEING ON THE MOVIE. WHAT DO YOU USE As your refrence dvd for when you demo your home theater for people? the 2nd scene of FINAL DESTINATION 2{The high way accident} was pretty cool and also The fight scene on the plane of AIR FORCE ONE Is really nice as well . I Hope I was of some help? good luck and enjoy thats what its all about. GINO