How to select a good Speaker Cable

Speaker cables do have a significant role in how our system sounds. Different cables sound different. 

So which one is the right one for you?

The Speaker Cable is an extension of the Amp. and not an addition to the speaker's load. It shall have a certain resistance (low) not to spoil the Amp's DF figure. As so, it can be calculated and there is a formula to do it.

The higher the Amp's DF, the lower the Speaker Cable's resistance shall be. As today SS power Amp's get DFs of 400 and above (Digital Amps go by thousands) the cable of 10 ft (3m) long, gets as thick as 0 AWG.

I can see your eyebrows elevates, when that thick cable is to be deal with. Most Speaker Cable makers skip it because of that. So most cables on the market (regardless of the look or price) are of 14-12 AWG. Way less that supposed to be.

Worst! no Speaker Cable maker, dealer or seller knows the answer, of what is the correct cable for your system. 

So most of us ended up, with a cables too thin for the task.

A conducted test, on this site, about a year ago as well as with some closer friends, shows a significant improvement with a calculated size cable over their previous cable. The results were all positive and preferred the calculated cable.

So, instead of asking: which of two brands, or two prices or two colors of Speaker Cable do I need, you should ask how thick of a Speaker Cable do I need.

I'll be happy to provide you the calculation, for who request it. All you need to provide is:

1). Length (Ft. or meter)

2). The Amp's DF figure.

Thanks

128x128b4icu
Mr.  jollygreenaudiophile2

You quote my say, no comments and than you have a say that is irrelevant. 
Nice trying. No big deal.  
Mr. keppertup

Thanks for sharing your impressions from your upgrade.
I’m happy that it works for you.

The increase is not linear all the way. it looks more like a Capacitor Charging Graph:
http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/Capacitor-charging.php
Keep in mind that my recommanded calculation, for DF=8000 was an enormous 32x 0 AWG. That would be your 95% point on the chart.
The 3 or 4 first #0 AWG cables are still at the bottom part of that chart.
Every cable adds significantly vs the level before.
32x 0 AWG is not a practical option...we can assume that already.

Just to be kindly reminded, it is better for you to get two mono blocks and place them very close to the speakers. Every time you get rid off 1/2 the length, you can get rid of 1/2 the cross section.
That could get down from 32 to 16, or 8 or 4 x0 awg...where you are just about to be next.

B4icu 

Same as before on the DF BUT cable is 25 foot,This is for a 7.1 system and wall speakers. I wonder if I also need the 8 AWG

DF 105 [it literally says DF:greater than 105 from 10Hz to 400Hz] -25 foot cable

Thanks in Advance
Mr. estereo

Even though the calc. apply, I would not bother to invest in thick cable in your surround speakers with "Long Cables".
As 25' is a significant length, you will need way thicker cables than #8 AWG for that distance. It may also cost you a lot. 
I recommended #8 AWG for DF=105 and 6'
For 25' ( 4x as long), you will need #0 AWG! 
I also tend to think that the 7.1 ch. is an HT receiver. 
This is a mediocre amplification, not that much worth the effort. 

Thanks for quick response. I found 100FT of 8 AWG for $48 US.  Used a gauge and its real 8 AWG.  I will use this for a 7.1 syste with a McIntosh 121 MX and a new amp I bought. When I finish this project I'm buying a a tube amp [Maybe a primaluna] Just for Cds and LP and will use the 8AWG on the stereo side BUT will buy 15 feet of AWG 0 and see if there is a difference in sound. It will take me a little while to accomplish this but I will let you know how the sound compares. Thanks for taking the time to reply.