How to select a good Speaker Cable

Speaker cables do have a significant role in how our system sounds. Different cables sound different. 

So which one is the right one for you?

The Speaker Cable is an extension of the Amp. and not an addition to the speaker's load. It shall have a certain resistance (low) not to spoil the Amp's DF figure. As so, it can be calculated and there is a formula to do it.

The higher the Amp's DF, the lower the Speaker Cable's resistance shall be. As today SS power Amp's get DFs of 400 and above (Digital Amps go by thousands) the cable of 10 ft (3m) long, gets as thick as 0 AWG.

I can see your eyebrows elevates, when that thick cable is to be deal with. Most Speaker Cable makers skip it because of that. So most cables on the market (regardless of the look or price) are of 14-12 AWG. Way less that supposed to be.

Worst! no Speaker Cable maker, dealer or seller knows the answer, of what is the correct cable for your system. 

So most of us ended up, with a cables too thin for the task.

A conducted test, on this site, about a year ago as well as with some closer friends, shows a significant improvement with a calculated size cable over their previous cable. The results were all positive and preferred the calculated cable.

So, instead of asking: which of two brands, or two prices or two colors of Speaker Cable do I need, you should ask how thick of a Speaker Cable do I need.

I'll be happy to provide you the calculation, for who request it. All you need to provide is:

1). Length (Ft. or meter)

2). The Amp's DF figure.

Thanks

128x128b4icu
Mr. milpai
The budget is really not the issue here.
All members who tried the recommended cable (DIY) ended up spending under $100.-
As Mr. keppertup did, who is one post before yours, says he found a source on eBay, with 0 awg cables, at $2 a foot. (4x6x2=$48).

If you can’t afford $48 or $100, than your kind words and idea may apply.
I think that all can afford such an expense. That’s my reality.
You see, I do not recommend geometry or other snake oil treatments to make a nice profit and charge for a shitty cable $50k.
What I offer is a service for free. The implementation will be really low cost and the results: stunning.

Even better: What else would improve your sound (by any scale) at this amount?

The sonic benefit was huge. The outcome: some remained in contact and we become friends.

I stand behind my say, and I'm NOT the president of the United State :-)
(From the movie Mr. President, with Michael Douglas).

Thank you Mr. keppertup

I read about Devialet products and concept, found them to very innovative and creative. They have indede some very interesting products and designs: both electronically as well as the look.
Using D class direct with a DAC is a good idea, saving a lot of circuitry, by driving the output power Amp almost directly with a digital signal...
That shown also in the fantastic Spec. numbers.
Would you please be kind to pass me the link for your cable ($2 per ft.).
Thanks.
I ordered 2 (one red and one blue) of 20ft at $75 each.
The problem is, that because of size and weight, it gets to $130 each,
including shipping. 

Micheal,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WELDING-CABLE-1-0-BLACK-25-FT-BATTERY-LEADS-USA-NEW-Gauge-Copper-AWG-Solar/...

Hope this helps.  Price includes approximately $20 shipping within US.  The listing does state that they ship internationally.

I just ordered this cable for 2x 0 AWG experiment.

I did add a 12 AWG pair of cables to the existing 0 AWG cables.  The sound changed.  My interest in the experiment has increased.

Used Devialet 120’s are pretty reasonable after considering the package includes a preamp, amplifier, DAC and a two-way electronic crossover.

Best regards,

J

Different cables sound different.

if cables sound....stick them into your ears....then tell us how do they sound, ok?