How to respond to those who say it's not a hobby?

I only recently started to get into audio and, although my system is definitely not in the high-end category, I like to think it's a lot better than the components that were replaced My better-half was quite accepting of the initial purchase of a new integrated amp (NAD C370), tuner (C420), speakers (KEF Q5) and interconnects (VDH D-102 III). She definitely heard an improvement over our previous gear.

However, she is now quite opposed to the upgrading of the CD player and the addition of a second amp (bi-amping). I've mentioned that it will likely make a great improvement to our listening enjoyment and hinted that this is a new hobby for me. Essentially, her response was that "spending hundreds of dollars on audio equipment does not qualify as a hobby", since I don't actually create/build/assemble any of it.

Any thoughts out there about how one might respond or convince the nay-sayer otherwise?
mghcanuck

Showing 3 responses by tok20000

Hmmm... Fighting over the definition of hobby.... All I have to say is be glad you are not buying $1k power cords. Cause then.... you know you've gone off the deep end.... hobby or not.

I tell people who enter my house: "Please do not ask how much anything costs unless you really want to know and can handle it."

Some people look at me very strangely when I tell them I have cables that retail for over $1k. They never look at me the same way again.

Getting great sound out of a system is a hobby of sorts, and can be very difficult (especially with a budget). But even without much of a budget, it can be difficult matching components if you do not have a lot of experience. It is through experience that we develop a sense of what is good and not-so-good.

Some people here at Audiogon could easily be professional audio consultants (and some are) for people who are in need of guidance to build a system. We are hobbiest who love this stuff.

KF
I think the key is not to take people questioning our hobby too seriously. Once you take something seriously, you give that opinion validation.

KF
The following is something that I posted a while ago that I am probably most happy with:

Always remember that Music is Art. Our music systems are effectively windows that allow us to experience this art. The more you like the sound/music your music system reproduces the closer you feel to the music and artist that created it. A good comparison is to paintings. People who really love paintings (and can afford it) buy the orginal works of an artist. People who love art and cannot afford originals try to buy high quality limited edition silk screens of works. People who loce art but cannot afford the limited edition silk screens end up buying regular silk screens of paintings. People who have some appreciation (or folks that love art that cannot afford high quality sil screens) for art will end up buying inexpensive prints. What does the person gain by spending $35,000 on the original painting over the person spending $2500 on a signed limited edition silk screen over the person spending $500 on a regular edition silk screen, over the person spending $100 on a print of the piece of art? Some may argue for the investment... I have heard arguments that art (on average) grows less in value than the typical bank savings account. Perhaps it is the same gain that is gotten from a $35,000 hi end music system over a $2500 mid fi music system over a $500 rack system over a $100 clock radio? Always remember though... How many CD's do you own? This is how many pieces of Art you own.

What is our hobby? We collect art (music), and we experience this music the best way we can reproduce it (through our music system that we careful plan and assemble).

KF