How to lower noise floor through mods?

I have an older tube preamp which I like very much. It has something of a lush "romantic" aspect which I quite enjoy, and while it is not 'noisy', it is not the quietest pre out there. In addition, I think that one might be able to maintain the 'romance' but improve the transients a bit. I have done a fair bit of research on replacing the caps (which I should do anyway because of age probably), but I am wondering what mods would lower the noise floor.

Will new/better caps help? Resistors too? Tubes? Is it new wiring for the point-to-point parts?

Modders & Manufacturers, please toss your 2cts in! I would love to hear your experiences and wisdom. What will keep the 'romance' and euphony while lowering the noise floor and improving transients?
t_bone

Showing 2 responses by rodman99999

Replace the rectifier(s)(whether a bridge or individual diodes) with soft recovery IXYS FREDs or CREE SiC Schottkys:(http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/semiconductors.html), and rewire internals with a good cable, like Kimber KCAG, going to a star ground with what would be the negative conductor and placing small ferrite beads on the positive conductors, at the source ends. Be certain your wiring is run tightly against the chassis, and(as much as possible) tucked in the bends along the outside of the chassis.
The "filter caps" are in the power supply. If you can still find Black Gate/Rubycon caps in the exact value that you've got in your pre now: They'd be a much higher performance replacement than the originals. I absolutely agree with Atmasphere- If your pre has tube rectification: Ignore my suggestion to go to FREDs.