How Much Do Aesthetics Factor Into Your Decisions?

Right or wrong, I have always taken what a component looks like into consideration when making a purchase. I like my components to look good.

Much like when I buy clothes. Fit, comfort and construction are important, but clothing also has to make you feel good when you wear it.

How do you feel about it.

Do you want everything to have a certain synergy of appearance, or are you okay wearing brown shoes with a tuxedo? So to speak.

128x128tony1954

Showing 1 response by doyle3433

For me it's in line with "variety is the spice of life". There is so much variety out there in our wonderful hobby, I would argue that for a desired sound, at a desired price point, one would find many variations aesthetically to float ones boat. 

I dig gear that looks a little different. Scale too... There's a lot of art and design in HiFi. 

I have some pristine and flawless pieces, (my Margules ACRH and recently acquired Cary SLI-80HS) and I have scratched and dented ones (my Mac240, Cary 2300A amps, TDL Compacts). I love them all. 

I have some that are sort of stuck in time. (an Ariston integrated amp that just screams "Miami Vice 80's".

I wish i could say it's all about the sound, the HiFi.. but I cant honestly. The way things look and speak to me on a visual level matter. 

I look at it like this. if someone gave me a choice between a group B Audi S2 monster rally car, and a Porsche 356, I'd choose the Porsche every time. 

This all may not have made a whole lot of sense, I have two new puppies and I'm sleep deprived.