How much am I missing with SL1200 mk2?

Hi everybody,

Hope you are enjoying your Labor Day Weekend.

My system is:

Anthem 225i (using phono pre in rec)
Musical Fidelity A5.5 CD player
Usher CP 6311 speakers
Clean SL mk2 with AT cartridge 120e

How much am I missing with my SL opposed to a $1000-$1500 including cartridge more modern setup like Rega RP3, entry Clearaudio, VPI, etc?

I'm pretty happy with the current setup but have been told I am giving up a lot with the SL.

Your opinions are appreciated, just curious.

Thanks in advance,

Gary
uncledemp

Showing 2 responses by fast_mick

I had a SLmk5 but I don't think there is any real difference. I also had a Luxman PD131 with Grace 707 Tonearm. These turntables cost the same but the Luxman was more detailed. I used a Ortofon 2M black on both. I changed the tonearm on the Technics to a Jelco 750D, but the Luxman was still clearly more musical and detailed.

I have sold both and now have a Denon DP6000 and a DP80.

You can get very nice TOTL vintage turntables with a cartridge well within your budget that will easily best the Technics.
I posted earlier I went down the upgrade path .. its not worth it. The money is better spent on a TOP vintage turntable. You also don't need a new tonearm many vintage tonearms are excellent. ie superior to the SL1200 tonearm.

If you go down this path if you don't like it you can sell it and most likely get your money back.

If you go down the SL1210 upgrade path if you go to sell it will be hard to recoup more than a base SL1200 is worth.

I think the underlying problem with the SL1200 is the rubber plinth and none of the upgrades mentioned above address this.