How important is the pre-amp?

Hello all,

Genuine request here for other's experiences.

I get how power amps can make really significant changes to the sound of a system. And of course speakers have an even bigger effect. And then there is the complicated relationship between the speaker and power amp. But I wonder about pre-amps.

In theory a well designed preamp should just act as a source switch and volume control. But does it add (or ruin) magic? Can a pre-amp color the sound? Alter pace and timing? Could you take a great sounding system and spoil it with the wrong preamp? Stereophile once gushed (while reviewing a preamp that cost as much as a car) that the preamp was the heart of the system, setting the tone of everything. Really? Some people don't even bother with a preamp, feeding their DACs straight into the power amp. Others favor passive devices, things without power. If one can get a perfectly good $2K preamp, why bother with 20K?

What your experiences been?
128x128rols
As an audiophile maniac for decades, I am a believer that the pre amp is the pulsing singing heart of the entire rig. It all comes through the pre amp. This is where I would (and have) place the most budget you can afford. My magic is solid state amp and tube pre amp combo. Neal
I would go with what Art Dudley owened! I'm so surprised to find so many high price systems can't do tone! For example roon source with YG speakers and Gryphon amps. Dynamic yes but tone no! Cheers!

I ended up treating myself to a pretty high quality preamp: a Mola Mola Makua. 

It did sound better. I like the configurability of it, and that it had an integrated (and really excellent) phono stage.

The pre DO make the signal large. If the theory is talking  the pre is just let the signal pass,it is wrong!

The signal from the DAC is not  large enough for amplifier, unless the DAC has a pre inside.

The early stage matter! Both the DAC and pre have huge influence on the sound, as a little change in the early stage, there is huge change after the signal pass  the amplifier.

I have a audio lab 8000s integrated to the speaker TANNOY 385,and this integrated has a power in RCA input , so I use audio research LS25 MK I as a pre  to the audio lab 8000S as a power amplifier. Huge different! Even the gain is high than  before.