How does one get off the merry-go-round?

I'm interested in hearing from or about music lovers who have dropped out of the audio "hobby." I don't mean you were content with your system for 6 weeks. I mean, you stood pat for a long time, or--even better--you downsized...maybe got rid of your separates and got an integrated.

(I suppose if you did this, you probably aren't reading these forums any more.)

If this sounds like a cry for help, well, I dunno. Not really. I'm just curious. My thoughts have been running to things like integrated amps and small equipment racks and whatnot even as I continue to experiment and upgrade with vigor (I'm taking the room correction plunge, for example.) Just want to hear what people have to say on the subject.

---dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
…..but if we insist on chasing the Dragon…. Ferreting out the 10%, 5%, 3% or just plain different increases in performance and damn the exponentially escalating subsidies required to do so, or as well incessantly regale ourselves with dreams and schemes on all the what ifs surrounding this undertaking, we can find ourselves ever in pursuit of that which we always had to begin with….

Thanks Blindjim. I could have used those words of wisdom ten years ago.
All too often, hi-end audio over complicates things to justify a higher price tag, no other reason.
As for paying $4,000 to get from 98% to 99%......well some people just don't know when it's time to quit IMHO.
Well I for one am a music lover, and because of the jacked-up "ATTITUDES" of some of the people that I have met I do not refer to myself as an AUDIOPHILE. I love music, music of all genres. I remember the swell in my chest as I sat in the Fox Theater with my third grade class as we viewed the original release of "The Sound Of Music". I can still feel it 47 years later. I fell in love with Julie Andrews then.I love music, that is why I am upgrading my system with as much enthusiasm as when I started 40 yeares ago. I think some people are let down after a while because they take this hobby as a means to one-up somebody else: "My system is better/more expensive than yours," and other such nonesense. I don't have a problem with some bragging rights, I mean I am extremely proud of my system's capabilities, but geesh... . I love music, I love the sound of music... and the movie is the bomb also! I think I'll stay on a while longer.
When you get to the last word in this sentencing, close your browser and never ever come back to Audiogon, just don't do it.

Drubin should be awarded for one of the longest, current running threads.

In a couple months it's 11 years old!