How do you tame a Denon DL-S1?

I recently got a Denon DL-S1. It has a very low output. I have a Minimax phono preamp and a Dodd. I have been rolling tubes and trying various things to see what works best with the Denon. When I use the stock JJ 6922 tubes in my Dodd and run the Denon directly into the 47k input, the detail and texture of the voice is unbelievable. I didn’t know there was that much information in the grooves. The problem is that I have to run the gain of my preamp up so high and the overall tone is not quite as good as with 60’s Amperexs or the Sovtek 6922s. With the other two I lose a lot of the detail and texture. My question is; would a SUT give me more gain and still keep the detail and texture? Would the SUT improve the overall tone? Would a blue Cinemag be a good choice?

I suspect that it might be a similar problem to other high information mc cartridges

Bob
rsimms
My 2 cents...I have been using a Dl-S1 for a couple of weeks. I started out with it wide open at 47k..after it settled down, I've increased the loading gradually and now use 250 ohms. I have a Aesthetix Rhea Signature phono with the gain set at 68db (75 db sounds punishing). With a recomended tracking at 1.3 g(+ or -.02g) this cart is very sensitive to vibration!
In the right conditions it rivals my Dynavector XV-1s at 1/5th the price! I'm going to track it at 1.5g and see how that effects the performance. Great cart for the money!!!!
Greg
Could any of the folks who are pairing the DL-S1 with a Jasmine preamp comment on whether they're doing so with no additional mods or SUTs in the system? I have heard that the Jasmine doesn't sound ideal when the gain is cranked up all the way to 70db, which I'm guessing would be near necessary if fed by the DL-S1
Apologies for bumping an old thread but what do people think of a DL-S1 with ASR Mini Basis on an RP6? It seems to fall in the optimal resonance frequency range (although Rega doesn't list effective mass for the RB303 arm i'm guessing around 11 or 12g). The DL-S1 seems to need a lot of gain and the ASR Mini Basis has adjustable gain up to 70dB as well as lots of loading options. I'm guessing I would need to use a spacer to achieve correct VTA but that's no big deal.

Denon DL-S1 Phono Cartridge Specifications

- Type: Moving coil
- Output voltage: 0.15mV
- Frequency response: 20Hz-70kHz
- Recommended load impedance: Over 100 ohms
- Channel balance @ 1kHz: < 1db
- Channel separation @ 1kHz: > 28dB
- Stylus tip: 0.07 x 0.07 mm square solid diamond
- Compliance: 14 x 10-6 cm/dyne
- Recommended tracking force: (1.3g +/- 0.2g)
- Weight: 7g

Mini Basis Mk III:

Two channel phono pre-amplifier with smoke acrylic casing.
Highly efficient, shielded 72 VA PM (Philbert Mantelschnitt) transformer.
High quality magnetic sheet metal with low magnetic field for excellent dynamics.
Ultra fast Schottky rectifier, buffer 200,000uF with Philips switchmode Elkos.
Very fast and extremely low noise IC's made by Analog Devices.
Input impedance switchable 22, 47, 100, 221, 475 Ohms, 1, 2.2, 9, 15, 47 k Ohms.
Gain adjustable with 6 step dip switches between +30dB and +70dB.

Any help would be appreciated.
What is your question? Are you hoping to find someone else who uses the exact same three components? If not, that combination should "work". Obviously you need to set your phono stage for 70 db gain. Then try different load impedances until you get a tonal balance that pleases you. Since the internal resistance of the DL-S1 (which you did not post above, but which I think is around 30-40 ohms) is relatively high for a low output MC, you may find that you lose some apparent gain with load impedances below ~100 ohms. (This is probably why they recommend using ">100 ohms".) It's up to you to decide what you like, after that. Despite the Denon recommendation, one guy on VA uses a load resistance below 100 ohms and is happy with the sound. He acknowledges that some gain is lost.
CFLUX, I only tried 2 of the settings on my Jasmine with the DL-S1 (50 ohms and 100 ohms). I prefer the setting of 100 ohms. It is very clean and open sounding. There is no gain setting on my Jasmine 2.0.