How do you know when a stereo sounds good?

When do you know your system is pleasing to listen to? How do you conclusively prove to yourself that your system sounds good to you? How do you determine that you enjoy listening to music through your stereo? Do you have a suite of measurements that removes all shadow of a doubt that you are getting good sound, sound that you enjoy? Please share.

128x128ted_denney

@mahgister 

Why people want to reduce everything to a binary distinction?

It's not really everyone who does that..

measurements are tools and necessary even for experiments...

There is a large cadre, however, that adamantly denies this simple reality. They self segregate, no need at all for me to do it for them.

But in audio our sujective experience is also primary...

Whether this is true or not depends on how you're defining "primary".  If, for example, I give you 2 identical power cords, one with a red plug, one with a blue plug, and your subjective impression is that the red plug is clearly better as it sounds more <insert audiophilic mumbo jumbo> than the black one. Now, that may in fact be true, but it's not due to the change in *auditory* stimuli reaching your body.  Should you rely on that subjective evaluation even when I tell you that the black plug cord is $10 and the red plug cord is $12K? I sure wouldn't.

As I replied earlier to @cindyment, in slightly different terms, correlation of measurements, a priori, to preference or enjoyment is not trivial, if possible at all. But measurement of *difference* is trivial IMO. So, if there's no scientifically known mechanism of action for A (latest floobie dust product) to act differently than B, in situ, and you cannot measure a difference between them in any relevant attribute or parameter, listening for a difference is folly.

Certainly any product can be designed to sound different, and do so, whether active or passive device.Those differences are easily measured as well. Because... if you don't know what to measure, or how to measure it (a couple of favorite disingenuous locutions favored in the snake oil world), however did you *design* it in the first place?

When I spoke about "subjective experience being primary" like measurements are in acoustic and in engineering, i refered ALSO to the fundamental criteria in acoustic: the human perception of timbre..

If people were educated by ACOUSTICIAN they will not buy 10,000 bucks cable they will treat and CONTROL their room...It is evident for me that each cable is different BUT IT IS SECONDARY completely compared to other impactful necessary controls: mechanical, electrical and especially acoustical...

I fine tuned MECHANICALLY my Helmholtz resonators grid guided by my timbre perception...Like some fine tune a piano,,,,

It is not objective . It is not perfect. It is a relation between my particular room with his particular zone pressures grid distribution, modifiable at will, in relation to EACH of my ears, which are not only different from one another but different from all others ears...

i dont bought audio tweaks... I created mine....Nobody sold my mechanical equalizer, i designed it with discarded junk...If some mouth laugh about that junks my own ears smile anyway....

Learning basic acoustic help me to spare my money...And spare me to enter into these stupid "objectivist" /subjectivist" childish and unscientific completely and this by the 2 sides which each one reject reason and acoustic or psycho-acoustic...

If measurements are ONLY necessary tools,his perception of timbre is the essential tool of any acoustician...Then negating one or the other, without understanding their complementary relation is insane when people argue without listening the other sides...

All these debates AGAINST or FOR cables or other tweaks are beside the point....There is subjective partiality to sell products on one side or there is people on the other side who vouch that we can know how a dac would sound just by reading a measurement chart...I am not interested by these 2 groups....

I am not a genius.... But i am not stupid either....

I am an audiophile and lover of music who designed his own audio controls: mechanical,electrical, and acoustical...It is not perfect at all... But it is spectacular and satisfying at NO COST...

I am out of these debates where people sometimes defend an agenda more than truth in the two sides...

There is debates more important now in the world....

@mahgister

Why people want to reduce everything to a binary distinction?

It’s not really everyone who does that..

measurements are tools and necessary even for experiments...

There is a large cadre, however, that adamantly denies this simple reality. They self segregate, no need at all for me to do it for them.

But in audio our sujective experience is also primary...

Whether this is true or not depends on how you’re defining "primary". If, for example, I give you 2 identical power cords, one with a red plug, one with a blue plug, and your subjective impression is that the red plug is clearly better as it sounds more <insert audiophilic mumbo jumbo> than the black one. Now, that may in fact be true, but it’s not due to the change in *auditory* stimuli reaching your body. Should you rely on that subjective evaluation even when I tell you that the black plug cord is $10 and the red plug cord is $12K? I sure wouldn’t.

To me, it’s very simple. If I close my eyes, and “feel” the singer or the/a band is in the room with me! When the hairs on my neck go up, because it “seems” SO REAL!! That’s my answer.

Rotel CD player, McIntosh amp, Bowers and Wilkins 804 speakers with Diamond tweeters. HEAVEN on earth!!

Santa, can I have another awesome record player as well please??

Post removed 

Ted Denney sell "tweaks" that can help some and not so much others, it is relative to many factors i will not enter into...( not everyone here own a dedicated room where we can replicate acoustically many imaging and soudstage effect with Helmoltz method +passive treatment)

He is probably a talented audio sellers thats all....

Why attacking him in audo thread?

Some use DSP to be the pinnacle of audio... For sure it is a very useful tool.... I plan to use some DSP free tool this summer myself...But is it the ONLY universal solution for all?

I dont need myself none of these two different agenda solutions...

I go along the road of no cost simple acoustic and mechanical solutions...

Then why arguing for measurements or against it, that makes no sense at all save if you had an AGENDA including one factor and not the other factor for your own agenda ....

I listen music/sound without agenda...

In acoustic Ears and measurements go hand in hand....Only sellers of electronical solutions via tweaks or DSP argues like fools, one against the other...

It is childish... But anyway they are sellers , some sell products the other sells other technology....

Basic acoustic is simpler and dont need a seller...

It is not perfect but very economical....😊It could be almost  perfect though if we invest big money....

i prefer to "sell" creativity openness including ears and measurements WITHOUT reducing one to the other...

Anyway human sound experience begins in greek theater, and architectural Christian monasteries, and even before that in caves acoutical effect control, then human sound experience begins with ACOUSTIC not with DSP or electronical tweaks or ,cables etc.... All is useful for sure, but arguing with agendas is not....

It is better to go with history than against it....