how do you know if you need a dac ?

have always been into vinyl and recently decided to get out of it and bought a Ayre CX-7 cd player.    while it sounds just fine, I read in the forums about members getting dacs.         

how do you know if you need one or not ?

what benefit would one add if any ?
toyo18
OP- I got out of vinyl for the same reasons years ago. No regrets. Happy listening!

Tom
“how do you know if you need a dac”

Answer: Only when you try an external DAC and the music sounds better. Make sure it’s returnable if it doesn’t.
@itzhak1969                      "  The Ayre CX-7 has also 2 xlr and unbalanced analog outputs,You should try them and see if the sound is better than the digital xlr you should use it instead"

Preamp is rca only, so if I wanted to try the xlr from the Ayre , would have to get the adapters.....and not sure if would make a difference ?   could try I guess.
I have the Ayre QB9 DSD DAC. I believe the DAC that Ayre uses in their CD Players is equal if not better sounding. Are you certain you can't use your CD player as a stand alone DAC as well? If not, I'd call Ayre.
@goofyfoot 

"  Are you certain you can't use your CD player as a stand alone DAC as well? If not, I'd call Ayre."

Can you explain that please , not sure I understand.