How do you judge audio components and speakers?

I would say - listening to music you're familiar with, and comparing. We can talk about tight/bloomy bass, midrange clarity, treble extension and things of that nature. We can also be very specific with regards to how a particular track is supposed to sound; based on high-performance gear that we were able to experience - but only if it purports to be accurate without sonic colorations. Therefore, I guess you could say we have a reference point. This part is what I would consider "objective performance." 

Along with this, measurements go hand-in-hand.

On the other side of the coin - subjective performance is how we "want our systems to sound." If the vocals are too bright or sharp, if snares or unpleasant sounding instrumentals ruin an otherwise good song, it's usually because the system is too accurate. So high-end audio is about chasing an ideal that doesn't exist in reality - but in the minds of audiophiles who are seeking a very particular kind of sonic presentation that bodes well with their music library as a whole....giving you just enough detail to keep you interested, while at the same time having a sense of realism, presence, and imaging that makes the speakers dissapear. We are seeking the illusion of a live performance.

The above are just my points. Feel free to share what you think. If you think I'm wrong, I don't mind. 

Cheers.

Jack

jackhifiguy

Showing 4 responses by cd318

@jackhifiguy 

I would broadly agree with everything you say, especially the point about some systems being too revealing for certain less than perfect recordings. 

The problem wortj bearing in mind is that it's virtually impossible to find anything that comes close to satisfying so many differing criteria.

Therefore, whenever I hear music being reproduced, I tend to try to keep my evaluation as simple as possible by focussing on a few essential qualities as possible.

1 absence of sonic nasties -  coarse treble, sibilance, indistinct bass, overhang etc

2 life-like timbre

3 dynamic range, transient speed and attack.

Anything else, imagery, disappearing speaker, articulate natural sounding treble etc would all just be extras.

Alas, my search for this mythic speaker goes on.

@mahgister 

Ignorance in audio thread promoted by  SOME gear or tweaks sellers is there to sell upgrade without end...Customers believe it...

Yes, this is the tried and tested sales method that has caught out many many people.

I should know, I was one of them.

As you say, experimenting with positioning, room tuning and vibration control is a more reliable way forward.

Even in my situation where I have little choice but to keep the speakers within 8 inches of the front wall, a little experimenting with height and isolation has helped considerably.

One particular tweak that worked for me was to experiment with the tightness of the screws that hold the bass driver in place.

In the end I preferred 'finger tight' as opposed to going any further.

@dave_b 

The collective ID of most audiophiles is built from an OCD type hyper fixation combined with a need to gain control over some aspect of their lives, in this case, their audio system.  It can be a release, a frustration and a friend.  Knowledge is not required, only money and time.  

How dare you tarnish so many of us in such a derogatory manner?

You don't know who we are, or our life experiences so how can you generalise is such a fashion?

In fact I'm going to ask for your post to be struck off. It has no place in a forum such as this.

Upon second thoughts...and a lowering of egocentric defenses.

I think you're right, certainly true in my case. Control was a very large part of it back then but I would certainly like to think the pleasure element is more important to me today.

Oh well, it was easier than supporting my local football team...and the rewards were often greater.

My apologies and thanks for spelling it out.

I hope it helps others too to find the way towards maximum pleasure with the minimum of cost and psychological discomfort.

@dave_b

@cd318 My comments were taken from my autobiography, “Sometimes a Stereo is Just a Stereo!”

Now, now, you’ll start the rest of us off.

Oh ok then, I couldn’t resist.

My autobiography might be called something like "A Portrait of the Audiophile as a Young Man".

A Joycean tale of the adventures of a relative hi-fi novice seeking to lose his audio virginity amongst the seedier and darker corners of audio underground where he gets seduced, exploited and corrupted by older unscrupulous more experienced audio veterans.

Along the way he falls for notorious afflictions such as the attempted refrigeration of his discs, playing with dangerously sharp mounting spikes, and of course the obsessive cleaning of his cable.

Not a suitable read for youngsters.

More of a warning.