How do you assess a DAC?

I've currently got an Audiolab M-Dac+ and am now going to add a streamer to my system, a lot of which have inbuilt DACs. I'd like to know whether the DAC in the streamers, such as the iFi NEO stream and others I'm considering, is going to be better than my Audiolab, in which case I'd spend a bit more for an "upgrade" and sell on my DAC.

Is it a matter of taste or can I compare certain specs to get an answer?

side22olto

@jbuhl thanks for the suggestion. What would be the benefit of a second system?  

Lots of people have 2nd systems or N systems.  I have 3 older Sonos Zp90 (before the Port) that are all accessible from Roon.

1 in my office,1 at my HT setup and 1 in my garage.  My office system is just a zp90 to a $100 Schiit dac to a pair of Audio Engine active speakers. 

Thanks for the response. My set up is the streamer going into my main amp and also playing to 5 other rooms with Sonos speakers in but as you can specify which music plays in each room separately or grouped I don’t think I’d benefit from a 2nd system. I’ve just upgraded to Era 100s and an Era 300 and am selling the Play:1’s so makes sense to sell the Port too.

Be interesting to see, but i bet those new Sonos devices show up in Roon as endpoints. should be able to group/separate them as well.