how did you find "the gon"

in my case my local dealer turned me on to audiogon after searching endlessly for a peice for me with no luck,the very day he told me about this site i became a member & within 2 weeks bought my 1st peice of gear.

my question is how did you find it & how long after you joined was your first deal.

mike.
128x128bigjoe
A great audiophile freind named Jeff Robinson who sadly perished where we worked on the 95th floor of WTC1. I really miss him. We had the same ears.
Imin2u;

Unrelated to the original post...but sorry you lost your listening buddy on 9/11 @ WTC1. Since you worked there as well- glad you're with us.

Now- back to the post- my good buddy "Fujirich" turned me on to the 'Gon, and I've been spending like a wildman since.
Local dealer in a city with a restricted audiophile market pointed me to the site after I bought some Totems from him and said I wanted to learn more. Pretty much everything that I know or believe about audio traces somehow back to Audiogon.
When i first started logging onto the internet, i used to search for "audio components" via Alta Vista on a very regular basis. One day back in the summer of 1996, Audiogon showed up in the search results. At the time, the biggest audio forum and listing for used gear was Audio Review with Audio Shopper coming in second. I know that AudioWeb was in there somewhere too, but i found it LONG after finding Audiogon. Audio Review has since changed owners & formats while dwindling in size, Audioshopper has less and less traffic and AudioWeb has a format that is neither user friendly nor viewable with spam / ad blocking software. As such, Audiogon has become the King of the used audio market.

As Markphd stated, Agon was much smaller when first starting out, didn't have the forums for quite some time after the initial inception, etc... A lot of people have come and gone, some not so peacefully or of their own accord, but it continues to be a great source for audio related items and info. Sean
>

PS... I can still remember what computer i was running when i first found Audiogon. It was a "blazing fast" ( at the time ) 133 MHz processor with a whopping 1.5 Gig hard drive. When purchasing this, i tried to buy the biggest & baddest computer out there. I thought that this was going to be the last computer i ever buy as it will do everything i ever want or need. Needless to say, that computer is long gone, along with a lot of audio gear that i thought was going to be my "last audio purchase". Who was i trying to fool??? : )
I was playing a Beatles LP backwards and distinctly heard a voice say: "Go to DubU DubU DubU Dot Audio Gone Dot Com. I think it was Paul's.