How can a PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC enhance my system?

How can a PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC enhance my system? I just don't know how to integrate a PS Audio DAC into what I already have.

The meat and potatoes of my system is a McIntosh preamp and a McIntosh power amp.  I have all my music digitized in FLAC and DSF, stored on a Popcorn Hour A-500 networked media tank (built-in DAC) connected to my pream.

I also have a Marantz SACD connected to the preamp.  I am able to access the DAC in the Marantz directly with either a USB or Toslink cable.

Since I have a NMT, I have no need to store or stream music from a PC.  Where could a PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC help me?

Thanks

128x128r042wal

1) the PS Audio DAC can be used with CDs, SACDs, and other digital sources.

2) many DACs can be used as digital preamps, because they supply enough gain to amplify the original signal of a digital source.  I owned a DAC like that and definitely preferred the sound with the preamp still in the system.  These DACs are not designed as pre amps and therefore tend not to sound as good as having a traditional pre amp in the system, but ymmv.

As per my first post in this thread, I suggest you attempt to audition the DAC in your own system and let your ears decide.  There is an element of subjectivity in this hobby 

Thankyou mahler123.  I feel more comfortable not having to discard my McIntosh preamp.  Just trying to  understand the I2S as this is new to me.  I have the opportunity to buy the PSA DAC so that would be an expensive way to audition if it is as subjective as you suggest.

You can get the streamer module in the PS Audio DAC and use it instead of your popcorn streamer. So you will have a dac for streaming and your CDs. As mahler123 is saying try it and see if you hear any improvement. That is at the end the most important. You can call PS audio and they will help you figure this out.

I2S transports the DSD output from SACD . TheTransport device--the extractor, in this case the Perfect Wave-needs to be able to send it to a DAC that has an I2S input.  The PS Audio DAC can also replace the DAC in your server for Red Book and other digital sources.

I play SACDs from an Oppo 105 Universal Player that sends the DSD via HDMI

to my DAC which has HDMI inputs. That isn’t your situation, since PS Audio doesn’t deal with HDMI, but for your information to let you know that it is available as an alternative.

Most dealers have a 30 day return policy. I can vouch for Music Direct being very good in this regard. You can order the DAC, try it for a week or so, make up your mind. You may have to pay some sort of shipping or restocking fee. I believe that PS Audio has recently gone to an Internet only purchase system, direct from the manufacture ( I may be wrong about this).. I haven’t bought any of their stuff since this happened but as bewgow above notes it is in PS Audio interest to allow their customers to audition their products so it is worth contacting them.  The major hiccup for you might be that you are not in the US; again calling PS Audio seems like you best bet currently to see what your options are

Thanks for the grea info mahler123.  My Marantz SACD has coax and Toslink digital outputs.  Can they be utilized?  There is no HDMI or I2S.