Hovland HP-100 vs. CAT SL1 Ultimate: Feedback

The Hovland HP-100 and CAT Ultimate are similarly priced, full-functioned, w. phono MC section pre-amps. How do their respective performances differ?

Any problems?
Any other full-featured, w MC phono pre's to suggest (Limit: $6500 retail)?
I favor tubed pre's. Remote not important. Need tape/record loop.

Looking for direct, controlled comparisons. Long time use with both units (but not necessarily at the same time) may also prove helpful. Feedback please.
kalan
I did a review of both products awhile back. Both are excellent but quite different. I currently still have my hovland but in a perfect world I would take the best qualties of both and put them into one chassie. Check out the link below for a idea of how the products differ. As as side note I recently purchased the CAT JL2 stero amp which is ausome. It has similar trates as the Ultimate preamp and is the best tube amp I have ever owned. I will be doing a complete review shortly. Johnny http://www.AudioAsylum.com/audio/general/messages/187966.html
Dear Kalan:

I did same side by side comparisons and liked the CAT Ultimate more than the Hovland. Especially when mating with my CAT JL-2 amp. I too agree with Johnny above that the CAT JL-2 stereo amp is one of the very best and will drive even the most difficult speakers - AWESOME control and purity, to date best I have heard. Combination is totally synergistic to my ears and my listening preferences. It is all about the sonic priorities that are most important to you. That is why some people love vanilla and some love chocolate... CAT Preamps and CAT Amps are very well designed, thought out and have outstanding build quality, but how they sound is the big story IMHO they are great!
I haven't heard the Hovland Pre but I know that one difference between the two is that the Hovland has only 16 dbs of gain .vs the Cat's 20 plus dbs. So the input sensitivity of the parnering amp is something to consider.I have owned a Cat SL1 Signature for 7 years now, and my system has undergone many changes but the constant has been the Cat. I was surprised to hear that jmsoul' Cat did not have enought gain for his .25mv cartridge, I used a troika (.1 mv) and it had plenty of gain to burn. This could also be assosciated with efficientcy of the associated speakers as with my Dunlavys driven by a Krell Ksa 250 it worked great. The sound was detailed,delicate, sweeet and dynamic as an erupting volcanoe with transperancy that put a lot of megabuck systems at the local dealers to shame. The Cat is very neutral in that it's sound will change consistenly with various changes in gear or accessory and will show any defficiency in associated equipement but nowhere near straightwire pure. Its sound is rich which I find to be a very pleasent coloration but nowhere near the syrupy Conrad Johnson sound. Its tonality is slightly on the darkside which is something to consider. Even till now I still feel it to be a tremendous bargon and enjoy every minut of owning it.