Horns and Triodes...?

Buddy of mine is interested in (anguishing over, really) building a system based on a pair of super-efficient horns and a low-powered triode amp. As this stuff tends to run even more towards the esoteric than the regular esoteric fare around these parts ("guy in X building out of his basement/garage...") upping the comfort level prior to taking a leap of faith (let alone actually listening to something first) is turning out to be darn near impossible.

Personally, being that I run Thiels and a huge sucking monster of an amplifier (relatively speaking), I know bubkis about this stuff -- so I throw myself at the mercy of the collective wisdom.

What's worked for folks? Is there anything or anyplace to listen in the NYC area? Tastes are running towards the exceptionally spartan, relatively cheap, diamond in the ruff among the recently-post-home-brew-eque market (if that makes any sense) with a focus on piano more than anything, if it were necessary to choose. Likely to be using a single source, too, so we're really talking no frills. Pointers?
mezmo

Showing 4 responses by bemopti123

I am crying. I think I will never be able to take a hack into your project, unless I have really idiot proof explanation and some decent diagrams, but man, does your set up sound like something out of a futuristic movie. I luv it! If you can, try to make some diagrams of it and also pics. "youngwon gidarilso iqkeso",I can wait forever until you have this!

PAUL
If he was daring, he should have tried to build a set of Voigt Pipes with the Fostex 208 Sigmas. I did this succesfully about 2-3 years ago and still have the cabinets left over. The finish was not "pro" but the sound, the sound for about $400 worth of materials was quite simply staggering. You may ask where did I do the woodwork? Got several large pre cutted plywood boards from Homedepot for about less than $50. Then, at home, I did the bulk of the work. Home= 1 bedroom apartment. It took me about 2 days. I had no previous woodworking experience, but the I had been bitten badly by the DIY bug. So, I did it.

Now the Fostex are filling a pair of ZHorn Garudas that I bought from Tom Zuworsky. They sound awesome, especially with my fully battery powered Final Music 5 and 6 preamplifier and amplifiers. The sound is fast, taut, and even without a subwoofer, decently full. To add more PUNCH, I added a powered subwoofer. 10 watts of grainless battery powered glory. No Cairn and Cairn can compete with this.

Another interesting set up is what TWL has. Check his system profile. Strange, it makes me drool when I think about it.

My dream....to either construct a full, with excellent bass extension horn or get a refurbished Klipsch La Belle/Scala, especially with the AKL or ALK updated crossover and some excellent minimalist wires.

That will take me to heaven!

PS: I must be somewhere between Earth and Heaven, maybe Purgatory? hehehe
Greg, I have the same question as TWL, how do you front load a Lowther? I can figure backloaded horn, but front loaded? Do you have pictures of this beast, a plan or a link? Furthermore, without these schematics or some illustrations, I am curious to figure out how does it cut "mechanically" at 120hz....the subs, everything, you have described is wrecking my brain and now, I am totally obsessed. If you can give me some "fix" I appreciated.

Paul
Greg, that quote is in Korean and the line I placed afterwards, is a translation of it. I am very curious about your arrangement. Thanks TWL, I understand what you have said. Still, the subwoofer arrangement, that is the part that sounds impossibly intriguing.

PAUL